Body trim removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I've been debating on taking my impact strips off for years. I remember I had a heck of a time peeling off the trim on my first truck, but I was repainting it anyway. My current truck may look good without it, but since it's my work buggy, it comes in handy once in awhile. It sees the occasional runaway shopping cart, neighboring car door (seriously? You had to kick it open? o_O), or I may gently lean a shovel/yard tool on it once in awhile.

Cool to hear Goo Gone Pro works. I've tried a bunch of chemicals over the years, each with very little results. My brother-in-law had recommended an eraser wheel, that scratched and dulled the crap out of my paint. Saw it dulled spots on his brand new truck that he debadged, too. Maybe fixable with polishing compounds. Regular car wax did not clear it up!

I’m repainting too [emoji6] mine will go back on because I just like the factory look. If they were not, I would feel very confident in saying you would never know they were there once I got them off ... after a good buffing of course [emoji6] one thing that will not go back on is the chrome wheel well trim [emoji37][emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I’m repainting too [emoji6] mine will go back on because I just like the factory look. If they were not, I would feel very confident in saying you would never know they were there once I got them off ... after a good buffing of course [emoji6] one thing that will not go back on is the chrome wheel well trim [emoji37][emoji38]

Yes! I know I picked off my wheel well trim when I brought my truck home. My first truck didn't have them, and my 2 door had fender flares. I didn't like the look of them, plus here in the rust belt, it causes the fenders to rust faster because it holds everything in. Needless to say it started developing already, but I tried to save it!

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oddly enough, the paint/metal under the trim was in excellent (like new) condition. I had originally planned to replace them but after I got them off and sanded everything down I realized (as subtle as they may be) there are some sweet clean lines there. I’ve re-done an ‘86 before and have always appreciated these body styles as well but the more I get into these the more I like ‘em!

They definitely don’t make them like this anymore!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My brother-in-law had recommended an eraser wheel, that scratched and dulled the crap out of my paint. Saw it dulled spots on his brand new truck that he debadged, too.
Improper usage is all I can imagine. I've used eraser wheels on numerous vehicles with zero issues at all.

You can't use them on lacquer paint (not really a concern for any vehicle made in the last few decades), you keep the RPM's low (indicated on wheel), and don't sit there buzzing one spot for a long period of time.

If anything, all I've ever seen are shinier areas of paint where I removed adhesive using the wheel, because the paint there hasn't oxidized like the surrounding panel has. Never seen it dull paint, and I have no idea how you scratched paint with one unless you did it on a dirty panel and contaminated the wheel with nearby dirt.

Richard

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I had pondered that, as the eraser wheel was not new when it was lent to me. Also, I'm sure it's fine for decals, but foam tape has a tendency to hold dirt crumbs around the edges, probably contaminated the thing.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That was my very first experience with the wheel - removing the tape after pulling side molding from my '94.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard