Body trim removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not sure if anyone has tried this, but it worked for me. I couldn’t find this method posted anywhere so I thought I would share.

I used the wire, then a scraper to remove most of the adhesive and cleaned it up with Goo Gone Pro. SUPER simple and QUICK!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty typical method.

Cool, it made quick work of it. I was sure someone had done it before but couldn’t find it. Oh well ... one for the archives I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ME TOO 2

Reaction score
I am not sure if anyone has tried this, but it worked for me. I couldn’t find this method posted anywhere so I thought I would share.

I used the wire, then a scraper to remove most of the adhesive and cleaned it up with Goo Gone Pro. SUPER simple and QUICK!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yah, I do the same thing with fishing line on smaller emblems.
And for smaller things, especially on glass, dental floss (buy the waxed floss) works well without scratching the surface. Its also good for getting a start so that thicker stuff (wire, mono filament fishing line) can get a bite)
The downside is that its too weak to grab with tools. Wrap our fingers n tape to avoid getting cut up

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And for smaller things, especially on glass, dental floss (buy the waxed floss) works well without scratching the surface. Its also good for getting a start so that thicker stuff (wire, mono filament fishing line) can get a bite)
The downside is that its too weak to grab with tools. Wrap our fingers n tape to avoid getting cut up

I just wore mechanics gloves... leather helped bite and hold the line when you wrap it around your fingers.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We used to take out windshields with wire.
Fish line works is safer on moldings so that you don't scratch the paint.
I use other methods but fishline works for a DIYer.

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmm ... didn’t think of that! Thanks!

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
We used to take out windshields with wire.
Fish line works is safer on moldings so that you don't scratch the paint.
I use other methods but fishline works for a DIYer.

Definitely a DIYer here! I don’t expect my body work/paint to be 100% flawless but it will be much better than before & my paint job will for sure last longer than some cheap-o paint job. I think taking my time and doing it the best I can, with a quality paint, will last as long as I take care of it.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I've been debating on taking my impact strips off for years. I remember I had a heck of a time peeling off the trim on my first truck, but I was repainting it anyway. My current truck may look good without it, but since it's my work buggy, it comes in handy once in awhile. It sees the occasional runaway shopping cart, neighboring car door (seriously? You had to kick it open? o_O), or I may gently lean a shovel/yard tool on it once in awhile.

Cool to hear Goo Gone Pro works. I've tried a bunch of chemicals over the years, each with very little results. My brother-in-law had recommended an eraser wheel, that scratched and dulled the crap out of my paint. Saw it dulled spots on his brand new truck that he debadged, too. Maybe fixable with polishing compounds. Regular car wax did not clear it up!