Blowback our of the TBI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can also just shove your finger in the spark plug hole and bump the starter
I'd be real careful about telling someone to shove their finger "IN" the spark-plug hole. They're likely to take you literally, and get their (or their kid's) finger mangled.

How about "Put your finger OVER the spark plug hole..." or "Cover the spark plug hole with your finger...".

Buffalo90

Reaction score
Think it’s the spark plugs I got. Had a set sitting around forever that I was just going to put in but they aren’t meant for aluminum heads. Not getting enough spark. I’ll see what happens when I get the recommended ones put in.

Buffalo90

Reaction score
What makes a spark plug suitable--or unsuitable--for aluminum heads???
Some metals don’t conduct well with others. The threads and prong are negative terminals so when the distributor sends a pulse to the plug, the electricity jumps from the center to the prongs causing a spark. If the metal in the plug doesn’t conduct well with the cylinder head metal, then the sparks will be weak or not there.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some metals don’t conduct well with others. The threads and prong are negative terminals so when the distributor sends a pulse to the plug, the electricity jumps from the center to the prongs causing a spark. If the metal in the plug doesn’t conduct well with the cylinder head metal, then the sparks will be weak or not there.

That's dead wrong. Every spark plug composition from copper/nickel alloy to ruthenium has been run in iron and aluminum heads with no problems or ill effects caused by the head's metallurgy. True that some ignition systems don't play well with some styles of plug, but that has nothing to do with cylinder head metallurgy or conductivity. Either the plug is specced for the heat range and application it is installed in, or it isn't.

Last edited:
Reaction score
just tore apart my 454 with the same issue. Mine was running okay but had a bad misfire after half throttle. Loud popping sound from the tbi. Turns out had 2 exhaust lobes on my camshaft that were ground smooth. Plus my flat tappet lifters were dished like a dinner plate. So needless to say, cylinders 1&4 werent exhausting. Coming back out the intake.