Blinker issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkylarMartin

Reaction score
1998 c1500, I have no blinkers and only hazards. when I use my turn signal either left or right while I have the lights off, it just turns on the hazards. when I turn the lights on, the blinker lights on the dash stay lit and do nothing when you flip the switch either left or right.

(Don’t come on, blinkers/hazards when the lights are on)

Also the third break light does not work.

The fuses are all good and I’ve changed the multi-function switch and relay already. I have no idea where to go from there. Any help would be much appreciated.

JWOK

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t looked at the wiring diagram for these in a while, but what you are describing suggests the circuits are connecting through a lost ground or possibly a bulb filament that has partially detached and crossed circuits. Check the grounds and bulbs in your tail lights.

SkylarMartin

Reaction score
(97c1500tj) the ground looks good but I’ll wire brush it. How would I check it with a multi meter? Anyone know? Thank you for the help!!!

also i stated, I have already changed the multifunction switch and the blinker relay

I’m sorry I didn’t say, I have already changed all the bulbs (headlights & taillights) and the taillight lighting boards too.

Last edited:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Sounds like a ground or connections issue, check grounds and connections and wires in the harness. Stuff gets pinched in the column and under the dashboard. It is possible to get a bad multi function switch though; had it happen on my Dodge Intrepid. At least on that car, changing it didn't involve the steering wheel. Chrysler engineered the Saginaw tilt column better than GM did!

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
(97c1500tj) the ground looks good but I’ll wire brush it. How would I check it with a multi meter? Anyone know? Thank you for the help!!!

also i stated, I have already changed the multifunction switch and the blinker relay

I’m sorry I didn’t say, I have already changed all the bulbs (headlights & taillights) and the taillight lighting boards too.
My issue was a little different but I had someone help me by flipping the blinker while I insert my positive lead into the wiring connection on one of the taillights and the negative lead on the ground. Hope this helps.

SkylarMartin

Reaction score
My issue was a little different but I had someone help me by flipping the blinker while I insert my positive lead into the wiring connection on one of the taillights and the negative lead on the ground. Hope this helps.

oh ok I didn’t even think of that, and what setting would you put that on? Sorry I’m just not to good with this stuff. Would that also test the ground if it’s good. If I put the negative on the ground wire, if it’s grounded right?

97C1500TJ

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
oh ok I didn’t even think of that, and what setting would you put that on? Sorry I’m just not to good with this stuff. Would that also test the ground if it’s good. If I put the negative on the ground wire, if it’s grounded right?
I used DC voltage. The rear ground is a metal loop with a bolt holding it down. Clean off the bolt and put the negative to the bolt. If you get a positive voltage reading on your meter you have a complete circuit.

Last edited: