Big parasitic draw and already tested all circuits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow had no idea that it could get this potentially bad if in fact my battery could've damaged my alternator and vice versa.

The adaptive learning with the computer does make sense because once I get the truck running fine I can turn it off and back on throughout the day with no problems. It's when I unplug the battery at night then return in the next day or couple of days to reconnect it that I have the starting issues once again.

I'll definitely post my findings and hopefully get the thing fixed soon because what a PITA it is to have to run out of the house for an appointment or something really fast and the battery is completely dead yet again. Since the starting issues appeared my wife's constantly saying "get rid of that truck!" and I say "no way ... I love this truck! It's just a bad battery!" but of course she doesn't get it and I have to hear her disparaging my baby which sucks! lol :gmfs:

You need to go get a battery in it before she starts with the "You can get a 300CCA one at Walmart for $49" Lmao

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow had no idea that it could get this potentially bad if in fact my battery could've damaged my alternator and vice versa.

The adaptive learning with the computer does make sense because once I get the truck running fine I can turn it off and back on throughout the day with no problems. It's when I unplug the battery at night then return in the next day or couple of days to reconnect it that I have the starting issues once again.

I'll definitely post my findings and hopefully get the thing fixed soon because what a PITA it is to have to run out of the house for an appointment or something really fast and the battery is completely dead yet again. Since the starting issues appeared my wife's constantly saying "get rid of that truck!" and I say "no way ... I love this truck! It's just a bad battery!" but of course she doesn't get it and I have to hear her disparaging my baby which sucks! lol :gmfs:
Wait, you're saying that your battery drains while disconnected from the truck? Unless your alternator is shot, that's a bad battery for sure. You still need to diagnose what caused it, but if your battery is full at night, then it discharges while being disconnected from the truck overnight, the battery is shot. Could be from a drain, could be from alternator, or it could just be old, but a battery dying while disconnected isn't a symptom of a parasitic draw, it's a symptom of a shot battery. Test for a draw with a donor vehicle, same test i described before, just tied to another vehicle as if you were about to jump-start it. If the draw is within spec (multiply by 2 because 2 vehicles) it's the battery. Replace battery, and retest for draw before restarting.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put me in the camp with the bad battery folks. It sounds like your battery is a giant capacitor which loses its charge overnight. I have had excellent luck with Wal Mart batteries but others may disagree. I would see if I could borrow a known good battery for a few days. If it works fine then fades, you may have an alternator issue as well but I am betting on the battery.

Looks like you are on the case so let us know what you find.

hekg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait, you're saying that your battery drains while disconnected from the truck? Unless your alternator is shot, that's a bad battery for sure. You still need to diagnose what caused it, but if your battery is full at night, then it discharges while being disconnected from the truck overnight, the battery is shot. Could be from a drain, could be from alternator, or it could just be old, but a battery dying while disconnected isn't a symptom of a parasitic draw, it's a symptom of a shot battery. Test for a draw with a donor vehicle, same test i described before, just tied to another vehicle as if you were about to jump-start it. If the draw is within spec (multiply by 2 because 2 vehicles) it's the battery. Replace battery, and retest for draw before restarting.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

No, I disconnect it at night sometimes so that I won't have to jump it in the morning. It actually does hold 12.6v when I do that.

Knuckle Dragger

Rascal *****
Reaction score
Yes. No need to get a meter and a chart and measure the amperage. Some people just like making rocket science out of diagnosis.

Depending on the draw this can work sometimes but not always. The light will be lit at all times, only the brightness will change. If you don't notice the change you'll spend a lot of time chasing your tail. It's not about making thing rocket science, it's about finding the problem without throwing parts at it. Do it right, or do it twice.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but in my truck I like something like 800+CCA's which are pricey these days.
^^^X2. IMO buy the best you can afford, you won't be disappointed down the road (pun intended). Instead of a group 75, go for the bigger group 78. Your starter will thank you too, if you haven't burned it up yet with so many low voltage/amperage starts.
You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
^^^X2. IMO buy the best you can afford, you won't be disappointed down the road (pun intended). Instead of a group 75, go for the bigger group 78. Your starter will thank you too, if you haven't burned it up yet with so many low voltage/amperage starts.
You must be registered for see images attach
X3 on bigger battery! OP is in Miami, Florida, so heat and humidity is a problem just like in Houston. Most of the "battery " issues people had in my parts house days were because they didn't get a stout enough battery, size and CCA wise. And if you skimp on the battery, it's going to adversely affect the starter and alternator,because they're working harder.