Big cam causing misfires??? 490/490 w/1.6 RA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Black Bear is a great company and all, hell I've had one of their black box tunes before. But for $100 more you can get an mpvi2 and do it yourself on an 0411.

It really ain't that hard if you study a little. And then you'll be able to fine-tune everything exactly to your liking.

Reaction score
Black Bear is a great company and all, hell I've had one of their black box tunes before. But for $100 more you can get an mpvi2 and do it yourself on an 0411.
It really ain't that hard if you study a little. And then you'll be able to fine-tune everything exactly to your liking.

Is that HP Tuners? I’ve only done research on EFI Live. I’m curious what comes with the mvpi2? Is it everything to plug in and tune or what?

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Yeah, hp tuners. It's what I use. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. EFI live can do just as much, I just happened to see more people using hp tuners for GM vehicles so it's easier to find information and ask questions. The basic principles apply across both systems.
Comes with the dongle. Plug your dongle into you laptop and it unlocks the tune editor and scanner. You can download it to get a feel for the software but can't save any changes until you register it with the dongle.

It costs $100 to unlock an 0411 pcm. If it doesn't have the express van tune on it, you'll have to pay another $100 to unlock the operating system before you can flash it.

Then you can tune everything. Get it running perfect. They have free custom operating systems for real-time-tuning and 2/3 bar setups.

Biggest thing for me is just having an 0411, it runs so much better and you can do so much more with it.

Take a look for yourself. The first file is from my black bear tuned black box. The second is from my 0411. Just take a gander at how many more options there are. Open up some of the tables and look at the resolution of them. Speaks for itself.

You can download the program to view the files here: https://www.hptuners.com/downloads/
Tune files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1at5b5Keok3Qzvcr17jISvrcNdJs0EoNV?usp=sharing

Reaction score
Cheaper to go with Black Bear, and they do a great job. Sorry, I've got way too much into tuning lately. Whatever option you choose, I would recommend 100% doing it on an 0411.

My 2 cents

I agree. I’m just heading out of town in a couple weeks and don’t have a ton of fun money right now so I’m going to give black bear a whirl.
As soon as I get back in town I will have more money and time to swap computers and tune myself. Im going to look more into HP Tuners, because like you said, everyone I’ve heard of uses them for GM. Seems I’ve got much more research to do before I settle on EFI Live or HP.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It just kills me but I have to agree with L31Max on this one. That's alot of duration for a truck and it going to need a 3k plus converter to work.

I have also ran Rhoads and they do calm a cam down at idle and create a little more vacuum.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I’m not looking to rebuild this set up. Just had it sitting and wanted to throw it and have some fun. Long term plan is LS for this hunk anyway. This motor will eventually end up in the LUV. Just trying to get advice to tame it and get a decent tune to cruise around town and have a little fun on the weekends. I have a 2800 stall in storage if I need to bump it up but for now I’m focusing on getting the motor running right.