Best Trans Temp Gauge? Plus other ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought me a 97 3/4 Ton to tow my fourth gen camaro to the track with. So far Ive replaced the door speakers with Polk audio door speakes and upgraded the factory radio to a Pioneer single din with some nice features. I also bought a diamond plated toolbox for the truck from a coworker. The truck is a all original 454/4L80E. Anyway here is my questions.....

#1- whats the best trans temp gauge yall guys have used ? I want one pretty accurate since its get hot here in Mississippi and I want to keep a eye on my trans temp while towing my car.

#2- When it rains the headliner gets wet on the very front right under the survivors. Whats the problem and how can i fix it or go by getting the problem corrected.

#3- The headlights and tail lights are faded badly and the grill needs some attention as well. Have anybody used Topgear Motorsports for their tail lights/parts? They stuff seems nice but cheaper than LMC.

#4- I only paid 30 bucks for the toolbox. Its it great shape but its dull looking. What product can i use to make the toolbox look new again. Its diamond plated by the way.

Thanks for the help as I'm trying to learn a little bit about these trucks and please bear with me.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have a smart phone you should be able to get transmission temperature readings via Torque or DashCommand apps from the factory sensor in your 4L80E using a Bluetooth OBD2 dongle. No need to install a separate gauge unless you really just want to.

Regarding Top Gear Motorsports, they're just a re-seller of cheap Chinese stuff. They don't actually make anything. I've bought some specific hard to find corner lights from them in the past. I wouldn't expect anything great, you'd probably be a lot better off buying some name brand tail lights from Amazon.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as trans temp gauges go, you could either run an aftermarket gauge or do what @df2x4 said and run Torque.
I plan on a Mag-Hytec pan with a spot for a temp sender and an OE style trans temp gauge from Autometer for my truck.
My 96 has a similar issue with the leaking, only mine is on the driver's side. So far I've just started pumping windshield sealing silicone all along where I think it's leaking, not the best option I know, but it's worked for me so far. Just make sure you get all the water out before you do that; if water gets trapped in there it'll rot out very quickly.

When it comes to lights, I've got a mixture of Ebay and RockAuto lenses on my truck, but with tons of other upgrades.
Ebay parts are really a crapshoot, I've had great luck with my headlights and taillights, but my 3rd brake light has fallen victim to condensation.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I bought me a 97 3/4 Ton to tow my fourth gen camaro to the track with. So far Ive replaced the door speakers with Polk audio door speakes and upgraded the factory radio to a Pioneer single din with some nice features. I also bought a diamond plated toolbox for the truck from a coworker. The truck is a all original 454/4L80E. Anyway here is my questions.....

#1- whats the best trans temp gauge yall guys have used ? I want one pretty accurate since its get hot here in Mississippi and I want to keep a eye on my trans temp while towing my car.

#2- When it rains the headliner gets wet on the very front right under the survivors. Whats the problem and how can i fix it or go by getting the problem corrected.

#3- The headlights and tail lights are faded badly and the grill needs some attention as well. Have anybody used Topgear Motorsports for their tail lights/parts? They stuff seems nice but cheaper than LMC.

#4- I only paid 30 bucks for the toolbox. Its it great shape but its dull looking. What product can i use to make the toolbox look new again. Its diamond plated by the way.

Thanks for the help as I'm trying to learn a little bit about these trucks and please bear with me.

1: I put an Autometer in mine, don't recall the line, not sure it matters. As long as your converter is locked and coolant is good, trans likely will be too. Beating around stop and go is what heats them up, climbing a hill screaming in 2nd the TCC will lock after a couple of seconds to keep things cool.

2: do you have 5 ambers on the roof? I'd start there.

3: What the others said.

4: Nevrdull?

Jermaine Smith

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have no lights on the roof.

Im go look into autometer gauges cause im not that good with phones at all.

So is Rockauto lights pretty solid on Quality?

I also need to pick up some rain guards as well.

I seen neverdull at autozone.... just harr to decide when you have 8 choices on polishes.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
RockAuto sells some pretty good quality parts, they have cheap ching-chong lights, middle to upper-grade lights like TYC, and I think they even had ACDelco OE replacements last time I looked.

1989GMCSIERRA

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The leak is most likely rust where the windshield /roof groove meets.

As far as lights etc you’re stuck with junkyard or offshore aftermarket parts or LMC or Classic Industries types repop

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanted to watch my trans as well, and opted to go with a TCI ShiftBoss controller to add a tow mode to my truck's 4L80E (~Stage 2) and I opted for the temp kit to go with it. I have been happy with it.

You must be registered for see images attach