Best shocks for potholes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Barry

Reaction score
I was on the verge of going with the Bilstein B6 4600 shocks for my stock '93 C1500 truck (with oversize tires, don't know if that matters). But I'm having second thoughts because they are a more heavy-duty shock which I believe is stiffer than say OE shocks. I do want to upgrade, but a comfortable ride (over potholes, severe bumps, etc.) is a priority. Also, I really don't know how my struts play into all this. Suggestions?

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know we already talked, but for all to see, I run Gaberial Max Control shocks. They are a mono tube shock. So are Bilsteins. I have had a lot if different shocks on my truck in the 19 years I have owned it. The Gaberials ride the best. Keep in mine that I live in Louisiana. We have the worst roads over all than every state in the U S.

David Barry

Reaction score
I know we already talked, but for all to see, I run Gaberial Max Control shocks. They are a mono tube shock. So are Bilsteins. I have had a lot if different shocks on my truck in the 19 years I have owned it. The Gaberials ride the best. Keep in mine that I live in Louisiana. We have the worst roads over all than every state in the U S.
Kenny - Do you have any thoughts comparing the Gabriels to Monroe Sensa Trac or Monroe original equipment?

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Look and see if or what shock is a mono tube shock. That is the shock that will give you the best ride. Mono tube has 1 big piston. Other shocks have 2 and they try to regulate pressures with valving. More or less anyway. The 1 big piston just does a better job.

TBIGUYS

Reaction score
Looking for new shocks for my 94 2WD. have always been a fan of OE replacement Bilsteins. expensive, but worth the money. now looking forward to getting info on the Gabriels. this site is a wealth of knowledge.

David Barry

Reaction score
TBIGUYS - Check out this site ....TEIN.co.jp/e: Mono-Tube vs Twin-Tube - SPECIAL. It convinced me to go with the Gabriel Ultra Shocks since I do not go off-roading. Otherwise, I would have chosen the Gabriel Max Control as suggested by kenthewelder. Previously, I had dismissed any gas shocks. No longer! Four shocks and shipping from RockAuto.com at $128.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mono tube, moni tube, mono tube. Keep in mind that inly the Gabriel max control are mono tube.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I am a fan of the KYB Gas-A-Just's for a stock height truck.