Best brand for New Suspension and Steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
94’ Sierra K1500 Z71, truck is basically all stock right now and I’m wanting to rebuild the suspension, I’m on a pretty tight budget so I’m trying to go as cheap as I can without getting junk parts. The truck is pretty much a pavement princess, I don’t like to take my truck off-road and towing isn’t something I do more than twice a year. Anyways, I’ve been looking at Moog mostly, they seem to have good reviews and I can afford it, but is there a better brand for parts out there that doesn’t cost an arm and a leg? Also, I’ve been seeing that some brands label their shocks differently, some say that they can’t be used on a Z71, but can be used on a normal 4x4; and some say that they can be used on both, is there an actual difference or is it just BS? Thanks for any help!

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I usually go onto rockauto and look for the best warranty. I doubt I'm ever going to cash in on a warranty if it fails but it means something that they will stand behind their product for xx miles/years

What?

Reaction score
Don't cheap on suspension. Driving and joint breaks out isn't fun. Usually at low speed though.

I'm fan of Proforged

Bilstein may be pricy but they're worth it. Otherwise get whatever shock you can afford and when you replace it again, you can pay difference of better one

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first rule of staying to a budget is to not replace stuff that isn't worn out.

INSPECT the front suspension, replace only what's needed. About the only parts GUARANTEED to be beyond hope are the control arm bushings and sway bar bushings/end links. (i.e., the rubber parts.) The rag joint is a likely failure item, too.

Everything else is dependent on mileage and usage.

stratton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
on some of the facebook groups i am on every one is saying MEVOTECK TTX . and here is a pic showing some of the parts . rock auto is the cheapest to fine these parts . and heres a link to the tie rod sleeves shown in the pic with the Mevotech TTXhttps://www.cunninghammachine.com/product/tie-rod-sleeve-c1500-steel-k1500/
You must be registered for see images

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool, I guess I’ll go with Mevotech for most of my parts. I’ve read that Moog has much better ball joints, but other than that it seems to usually just be a tossup and Mevotech is a just a bit cheaper and IMO look a little nicer with the blue boots and bushings. Still need to find a set of shocks though...

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Cool, I guess I’ll go with Mevotech for most of my parts. I’ve read that Moog has much better ball joints, but other than that it seems to usually just be a tossup and Mevotech is a just a bit cheaper and IMO look a little nicer with the blue boots and bushings. Still need to find a set of shocks though...

Mevotech has 3 or 4 product lines..... THE TTX stuff is expensive and doesn't have blue boots.

JohnDenver

Reaction score
on some of the facebook groups i am on every one is saying MEVOTECK TTX . and here is a pic showing some of the parts . rock auto is the cheapest to fine these parts . and heres a link to the tie rod sleeves shown in the pic with the Mevotech TTXhttps://www.cunninghammachine.com/product/tie-rod-sleeve-c1500-steel-k1500/

Dang, those tie rods look beefy. Like a good compromise between stock and super fancy and expensive (though don't know how much those are). I'll watch for those whenever I do more front end work.

As to shocks...I put KYB Gas-A-Just on my Suburban this past year. I have been happy with them for the price. Probably not the most controlled on large dips, but they have done well on the street and in the dirt. Can't compare too much to others since the rusty Gabriels probably were pretty old and that's the only other shocks I've had on that vehicle.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mevotech has 3 or 4 product lines..... THE TTX stuff is expensive and doesn't have blue boots.
Yeah I noticed that, the ones I’ve been looking at are the Mevotech Supreme which is the blue boot stuff. Either way, my truck is my daily and my “pavement princess” so I’m not worried about the off-road capability or the towing capacity.