Front Diff and Suspension issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this a valid test to verify having matching gears. Mine has the G80 option.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

If so, I’m afraid I may have an issue.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, thats not good. I cant see your other tire, but if it is rotating more than the rear then there is for sure a gear mismatch.

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thats not good. I cant see your other tire, but if it is rotating more than the rear then there is for sure a gear mismatch.

it is rotating more. Using the rear tire as the “control”, one rotation of the rear tire turns the front more. The tape ends up at about 2 o'clock On the front tire.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HOW is the vehicle jacked-up? Right side tires off the pavement, BOTH left side tires still on the ground?

You do not have a locking, or limited-slip differential in front. Power flows unevenly, so that if one wheel is stationary, the other spins twice as fast. If one wheel is spinning at 1/2 speed, the other is spinning at 1 1/2 speed.

Yeah, you may have a gearing mis-match. I'm not thrilled with your video showing how you determined that, though. "The shop" supplied this differential. You need to jack them up about the potential gearing mis-match.

Dry pavement, 4WD. Does the vehicle bind-up, act like it has no power?

Last edited:

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wondered about the open diff also, but looked more like gearing. Post #7 had some binding mentioned.

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
HOW is the vehicle jacked-up? Right side tires off the pavement, BOTH left side tires still on the ground?

You do not have a locking, or limited-slip differential in front. Power flows unevenly, so that if one wheel is stationary, the other spins twice as fast. If one wheel is spinning at 1/2 speed, the other is spinning at 1 1/2 speed.

Yeah, you may have a gearing mis-match. I'm not thrilled with your video showing how you determined that, though. "The shop" supplied this differential. You need to jack them up about the potential gearing mis-match.

Dry pavement, 4WD. Does the vehicle bind-up, act like it has no power?
Vehicle is jacked up with the drivers side on the ground.

I’m going to take it back to them. I have the intake off right now waiting on the injectors and intake gaskets to get here.

if I put it in 4wd while rolling 5-10 miles per hour on dry pavement, it will stop forward motion of the truck within 15-20feet at idle. It will go if I give it gas but it doesn’t feel right. Rolling or sitting still, if I disengage the 4wd the truck will jerk.

Last edited:

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry if these questions are “basic” or something else. Like I said earlier, this Chevy 4wd system is new to me. I’m trying to learn and figure things out.

Stepbyrd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update: Just to close the loop for others who may run across this.

Shop is giving me hell saying that there is no problem. It’s right and the problem is my transfer case.

I’ve been busy doing other upgrades and repairs. Today I finally had the chance to look deeper.

You must be registered for see images attach

Front that was replaced was 3.42.

The rear….41 divided by 11 equals 3.73.

I sent them the photo. Let’s see what they say now. :)