Bed bounce

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
Pics ..... Um yes please! Did you go from the 4600 to the 5100 shocks? I did some random searching and they said the 5100 rode stiffer...

I did not have the 4600's no. When I bought the truck it had some weird generic looking shocks on it, all I remember was that they were all white. I think I tossed them but I will look in the garage to see if maybe I haven't tossed them yet. I will go take some pics right now for you also.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
sorry about earlier, I just couldn't find a front 5100 2wd anywhere so I guessed they didn't make them. 5100's ride nice on the street and offroad big big improvement over Procomp cheapo shocks that were like steel rods. they have a variable valves that let it perform well on street and rough terrain.

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
Here are a few snaps I just went out and took. They aren't the best since you can't exactly see everything LoL! If there are any particular angles or anything else anyone wants just let me know.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Hate to through a wrench in the works, but tire pressure can also make a big dif in how your truck rides.
Yea, I've got 2whl.dr.'s but when I know I'm going to be corner carvin', I'll pump up the tire pressure up to about 40lb.s. +. Radials stick better with more pressure. I can really notice a difference in handling. The truck is more sure footed, more predictable, but the ride can be a bit harsh. I can feel a dime if I run over it, & if I don't lower the pressure for the ride home, that extra pressure can make the truck skitter & bounce over expansion joints, or less than perfect roads. This happens mostly in the rear. Lower the tire pressure down even just 4 or 5 lbs, & the problem is much less noticeable.
These trucks also have a prob. with 'beam walk'. It can cause the bounce you describe. GM is aware of this. Their solution?
500 lbs. of 'ballast'! Pffft!!! Thanks, GM!

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
Hate to through a wrench in the works, but tire pressure can also make a big dif in how your truck rides.
Yea, I've got 2whl.dr.'s but when I know I'm going to be corner carvin', I'll pump up the tire pressure up to about 40lb.s. +. Radials stick better with more pressure. I can really notice a difference in handling. The truck is more sure footed, more predictable, but the ride can be a bit harsh. I can feel a dime if I run over it, & if I don't lower the pressure for the ride home, that extra pressure can make the truck skitter & bounce over expansion joints, or less than perfect roads. This happens mostly in the rear. Lower the tire pressure down even just 4 or 5 lbs, & the problem is much less noticeable.
These trucks also have a prob. with 'beam walk'. It can cause the bounce you describe. GM is aware of this. Their solution?
500 lbs. of 'ballast'! Pffft!!! Thanks, GM!

Oh I never really thought about tire pressure, I just keep mine at 35 lbs All the time. Now that you mention expansion joints though, on the freeway in the fast lane they are like gut busters LoL! Any other lane though and it's nice and smooth. Damn ty CA freeways LoL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not have the 4600's no. When I bought the truck it had some weird generic looking shocks on it, all I remember was that they were all white. I think I tossed them but I will look in the garage to see if maybe I haven't tossed them yet. I will go take some pics right now for you also.

Thanks for the pics, I probably missed it but what is your set up on your suspension. I have lift spindles and a 1" block out back. Only askin cause I think you posted some part #'s and I can go off of them if we're similar .

Tire pressure , I have (P) rated tires that only hold 35psi and I'm running 33psi sooooo...?

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics, I probably missed it but what is your set up on your suspension. I have lift spindles and a 1" block out back. Only askin cause I think you posted some part #'s and I can go off of them if we're similar .

Tire pressure , I have (P) rated tires that only hold 35psi and I'm running 33psi sooooo...?

I have the rough country 4"spindles and 3" blocks in the rear. Although I plan on switching to the shackle flip when I'm not so lazy LoL!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Tire size & manufacturer can also make a big dif in how the truck rides.
Ever ride in a vehicle with big wheels & 35 series tires? Unless the vehicle was designed for those, (high end performance coupes & sedans) & damn, it's like the tires are made of cement! But the sidewalls don't flex, so they are more sure footed in corners.
Go to a bigger sidewall, & comfort returns, at the price of performance quality. Tires with a larger sidewall can be both a help & a hinderance, depending on your requirements or point of view.
Also, if you have 3 tire brands, side by side, the same size, & pressure, each one will give a different ride quality. A lot have that has to do with the quality of the construction. A BFG, or an upper end Firestone, will absolutely kick a Uniroyal's butt in terms of ride & longevity. You get what you pay for.

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tire size & manufacturer can also make a big dif in how the truck rides.
Ever ride in a vehicle with big wheels & 35 series tires? Unless the vehicle was designed for those, (high end performance coupes & sedans) & damn, it's like the tires are made of cement! But the sidewalls don't flex, so they are more sure footed in corners.
Go to a bigger sidewall, & comfort returns, at the price of performance quality. Tires with a larger sidewall can be both a help & a hinderance, depending on your requirements or point of view.
Also, if you have 3 tire brands, side by side, the same size, & pressure, each one will give a different ride quality. A lot have that has to do with the quality of the construction. A BFG, or an upper end Firestone, will absolutely kick a Uniroyal's butt in terms of ride & longevity. You get what you pay for.

That's a good point. I was running Hankook Dynapro ATM 315/70/17 I liked them . A lil stiff but a good tire. Then I went to Falken wild peaks 33/12.50/15 and loved them still a stiff tire . Now I have. Nitto Terra graps in a (p)285/70/17 soft tire but rides smooth. It does feel a lil floaty at times so it's a catch 22 . Rides smooth but floaty or rides rougher but more stable.i get it