Barn door electrical contacts rebuild or replacement part

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kilo_whiskey

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm posting this in the right area but here it goes. My electrical contacts on the rear passenger side barn door are in rough shape and in need of being replace or fixed. My door locks still work for now but my defrost has no connection. Before I could just clean the contact areas with a green scratch pad and be good as new again. Unfortunately now a couple of them are collapsing and not making any at all. I have searched this site but without any luck. I know LMC used to sell them but now the don't, only the drivers side. Called around local dealers to here its been discontinued. RockAuto, GM Parts, Ebay and a few others don't seem to have any. I'd like to find new but may end up going to a salvage yard. Does this part have a particular name, not real easy find. I'm ordering the left one from LMC. When I take the old one off I plan on taking it apart and see if it's possible to rebuild it. Any help with my situation would be very helpful. Thank you

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Boneyard a set that isn't damaged, and don't ever clean them with anything abrasive. DeOxit spray would probably work magic on them.

For the ones that are collapsing, there's probably just a simple coil spring inside that can get replaced from an assortment available through any local supply house or online.

Richard

kilo_whiskey

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach
Here's a couple pics of the contacts. The top one is mushroomed and gets stuck in the compressed position.

kilo_whiskey

Reaction score
Boneyard a set that isn't damaged, and don't ever clean them with anything abrasive. DeOxit spray would probably work magic on them.

For the ones that are collapsing, there's probably just a simple coil spring inside that can get replaced from an assortment available through any local supply house or online.

Richard
I'll remember that next time I clean them up, thanks Richard.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
WOW...those are some destroyed contacts. I wonder if they were failing to compress normally causing them to get squashed? Even on high-mileage parts trucks I haven't seen any that look that bad.

Let us know how the boneyard hunt goes - I'd be interested to know if you're seeing a bunch of similar condition pieces or not.

It looks like a small amount of dielectric grease used around the slide area would help prevent them getting that bad. That plastic/nylon sheath around them looks dry as hell.

Richard

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In gonna have to check mine. There original and get used all the time but never seen it that bad. Shoot. I find a good pair and put a protective coating on it or something. That looks more like corrosion then normal wear

kilo_whiskey

Reaction score
all burbs get crushed around me.... are there any alternatives? do these exsist on Van's? full size Van's get crushed to but I know where there are a couple.

Al

I ordered the driver side contacts from LMC, I'm gonna see if I can take it apart and look at possible alternatives. 1, replace the damaged ones with the old ones from the drivers side. 2, replace them with a solid piece of brass rod for a more permanent solution.

kilo_whiskey

Reaction score
WOW...those are some destroyed contacts. I wonder if they were failing to compress normally causing them to get squashed? Even on high-mileage parts trucks I haven't seen any that look that bad.

Let us know how the boneyard hunt goes - I'd be interested to know if you're seeing a bunch of similar condition pieces or not.

It looks like a small amount of dielectric grease used around the slide area would help prevent them getting that bad. That plastic/nylon sheath around them looks dry as hell.

Richard

Florida sun and my 9 year old who loves to slam doors doesn't help with normal wear and tear either lol