Bad shake and 0 oil pressure at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That severe?
Assuming the gauge is correct, you're completely starving the engine of oil every time you drop the RPMs. It's only a matter of time before an engine gives up the ghost with no oil, that's a guarantee. I'd verify the reading by hooking up a second gauge, like others have suggested. If the gauge is correct, the shaking is probably the motor coming within an inch of it's life. If the gauge is wrong, get a new sensor for the oil pressure and start searching for the cause of the shake.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
try thicker oil and start saving for a new motor.

Try straight 50w and a can of STP who knows, back in the 70's we used to un-stick lifters that way. Is the rough idle because of low oil pressure shutoff?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Try straight 50w and a can of STP who knows, back in the 70's we used to un-stick lifters that way. Is the rough idle because of low oil pressure shutoff?

Gonna cover up that mess for all of a day. If it ain't the pump and if it hasn't done irreparable damage (unlikely) then he's in it for a new motor.

TerryD

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 295k mile 5.7L has almost no hot idle oil pressure on 5w30. I run 10w40 year round in it. Been rattling like a 6.5L on these single digit temperature (*F) mornings lately.

demetrio bazan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming the gauge is correct, you're completely starving the engine of oil every time you drop the RPMs. It's only a matter of time before an engine gives up the ghost with no oil, that's a guarantee. I'd verify the reading by hooking up a second gauge, like others have suggested. If the gauge is correct, the shaking is probably the motor coming within an inch of it's life. If the gauge is wrong, get a new sensor for the oil pressure and start searching for the cause of the shake.
Ok I'll try that because those crate engines 2 grand for a 5.7 vortec
But I do think that the gauge is right because at speed oil pressure is fine but at idle