Axle help. Please read and help as soon as possible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

astewart1995

ImAwesome
Reaction score
Leaving in a few hour to go find an axle for SAS. Truck is going on 46s soon. I need to know what front axle would be best for me

blackpearl

Reaction score
That ^

But really, any Dana 60 will do...HP Dana 60's just give you the benefit of better angles in high lift applications. All of that is correctable with any Dana 60 though. If you are going monster lift, turn and reweld your tubes a few degrees to compensate.

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2.5 Rockwells. If you plan do do any wheeling on a locked 60 with 46" tires, you will need to throw a lot of cash at that axle to get it to live (shafts, knuckles, gears, etc.) for a lot less money you can run rockwells.

90chevstepside

iPhone Repair Tech!
Reaction score
I agree with both of them.. rockwells are pure beef.. but they're over kill if you aren't. Wheeling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just for reference

You must be registered for see images attach

D44, D60 and Rockwell

You must be registered for see images attach

Rockwell next to D60

I can't find a side by side shot of the D60 ring gear and the bull gear of the rockwell, but it's pretty much twice as big.

Around here a pair of rockwells, non-steer rear are going for about $1500 in good usable shape. A ford 60 KP axle and a sterling or 14 bolt will run you about $800-$1000 right now in good usable condition. spand another $1500 for shafts, $700 for knuckles, $1000-$3000 for carrier/locker and gears. rockwell simply make sense. plus since the pinon on teh top loader sits so high, you driveshaft angles are not all that bad.

Attachments

• 452465d1246861484-5-ton-rockwell-thread-shaft2.jpg
    452465d1246861484-5-ton-rockwell-thread-shaft2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 5

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rockwells are only for really serious wheeling...if you're not literally beating the ever loving pi$$ out of your truck a D60 is a GREAT axle.

Seriously, the Rockwells are monster axles and are rarely needed. I bet if you stick with the D60 you'll be very happy and you'll save tons of weight with an easier install.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Rockwells..... better to have that extra bit and not need it than to need it and not have it. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight, go all out the first time and get the best. :Big Laugh: