Auxiliary fan - purpose.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
5/8" is the standard size. I used to make my own draw bars and receivers. The receiver tube is specially made to accept the 2" square tube draw bar but I was always able to get some at the local steel yard. I don't know about across the pond though.
Yes my dad made one years ago out of square tube from a steel yard. We had a square Burb with a tailgate and towed a small trailer that we couldn't stretch the tongue on. The gate kept hitting the trailer jack and so he made an extra long draw bar. When not towing, we left it in the hitch to use as a step to get into the truck. Think it was still in the truck when that truck was stolen..... I think at one point we used a grade 8 bolt and nut with a hitch pin clip in it to hold the ball mount in.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes that looks like the factory style frame mounted hitch. You'll need the ball mount/ draw bar and a pin to hold the bar in; I prefer a locking version because it makes it more difficult for someone to steal your trailer by removing the pin and pulling the draw bar out. These are pretty much a standard size. I believe the pin hole is 5/8" or 3/4 " .

If I could get out and about - I'd know by now if they are common in the UK. What traffic there is passing the house is too fast for me to check their hitches! Definitely what is there is factory GM.

The original owner may not have ever had a draw bar if they didn't need to tow a trailer. Probably just needed a Burb to move dignitaries around comfortably LOL

I suspect you are spot on there. Then subsequent owner used the roof rack - and judging by the wear pattern on the paint, my guess is canoes.
Before any of you start wondering if I am 20 feet tall.... Nope, I have upstairs windows in the house.

And, seeing as this thread has kinda turned into a blogpost (and without hyjacking someone else's thread for a change) more news on my Burb, particularly its crooked steering wheel. Had a go at repositioning the Pitman arm after wondering if I'd be able to remove the retaining nut. Worried needlessly about that. I reckon the garage that fitted it misread 184lb.ft as 18.4lb.ft. Seriously!
The arm wasn't keen to budge so before I fell out on it I had a look at the splines and mine has a master spline so no point in going any further than thumping the nut back on and heading back indoors as the rain began. Next is attempt the adjustment at the gearbox input shaft - once I figure how to shift the plastic shroud it's hiding behind. Any and all suggestions welcomed!.....

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If I could get out and about - I'd know by now if they are common in the UK. What traffic there is passing the house is too fast for me to check their hitches! Definitely what is there is factory GM.

I suspect you are spot on there. Then subsequent owner used the roof rack - and judging by the wear pattern on the paint, my guess is canoes.
Before any of you start wondering if I am 20 feet tall.... Nope, I have upstairs windows in the house.

And, seeing as this thread has kinda turned into a blogpost (and without hyjacking someone else's thread for a change) more news on my Burb, particularly its crooked steering wheel. Had a go at repositioning the Pitman arm after wondering if I'd be able to remove the retaining nut. Worried needlessly about that. I reckon the garage that fitted it misread 184lb.ft as 18.4lb.ft. Seriously!
The arm wasn't keen to budge so before I fell out on it I had a look at the splines and mine has a master spline so no point in going any further than thumping the nut back on and heading back indoors as the rain began. Next is attempt the adjustment at the gearbox input shaft - once I figure how to shift the plastic shroud it's hiding behind. Any and all suggestions welcomed!.....
Hey Pinger, given all the fun you've been having with the "propane and propane accessories " on your Burb, maybe you should name it Hank Hill?

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Pinger here's a picture of the 2" Draw Bar steel I still have laying around. Note the rounded corners...

You must be registered for see images attach

What's the spec on the steel. Ordinary low carbon mild steel or something more exotic?
Do you fix a threaded ball into one 'edge' - as per through the bumper optiom - or something different?
UK ball hitches tend to be of this type or manufacturer specific (and removable).

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the spec on the steel. Ordinary low carbon mild steel or something more exotic?
I don't think it's any harder than regular HR (Hot Rolled) mild steel. You weld a piece of flat bar to it and drill a hole for whatever class ball you have. Here's a "Store Bought" one to give you an idea. I don't have any of my home made ones they all went with the trucks I had.

Then, as @HotWheelsBurban said you can get one of these locking 5/8" pins so nobody can steel your hitch, or at least make it more difficult, ha ha.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes my dad made one years ago out of square tube from a steel yard. We had a square Burb with a tailgate and towed a small trailer that we couldn't stretch the tongue on. The gate kept hitting the trailer jack and so he made an extra long draw bar. When not towing, we left it in the hitch to use as a step to get into the truck. Think it was still in the truck when that truck was stolen..... I think at one point we used a grade 8 bolt and nut with a hitch pin clip in it to hold the ball mount in.

Barn doors easier when hitched up to a trailer?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Barn doors easier when hitched up to a trailer?

Probably depends on the trailer, but hauling our old Polaris PWC around with my Suburban I could open both doors all the way with no clearance issues. I'd say the barn doors are probably more accessible.