Aussie GMC C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I open the floor up to harsh criticism, especially considering this...

I had a steel bearing in behind the input shaft over the main shaft, but the correct one is made of plastic housing and like the other one below. They do look similar?

This should stop the lateral movement of the input shaft hitting on 4th gear pack and making a god awful rattle at idle (and probably every other time if I could hear it over the exhaust).

You're probably wondering how this gearbox even functioned - so am I!!!
There's probably less than 20 of these gearboxes in Australia which can make things a little harder, but still, hardly an excuse with internet around.

Anyway, good progress for a few hours after work.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all,

So got the gearbox back in and decided not to take off the engine oil pan - rather just nip up the loose bolts, which there were a few.

Firstly, I changed to a semi-synthetic 15W-50, and wow this runs so much quieter now. the 10-40 or 5-40 I had in there must have been too thin.

The gearbox is all back together along with a new input bearing AND RACE this time!! Oh, and changed out the bearing above photo.

Anyway, runs much better and VERY smooth. Still has rattle in neutral but I can live with that. I'm not sure if that's just clutch springs, or maybe its too loose. I re-shimmed it and checked endplay but still there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay I'm leaning toward gear rollover being the noise I'm hearing. That has me a little more settled. I did purchase the below shifter boot which should also help. I'll make a custom shifter later so it's more 'seamless'. But for now it will do.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd love to say it's progress, but in a backwards way maybe...

The clutch pedal was hitting the firewall before it was fully engaging, and by doing so was pulling the rubber pad off and sometimes making it a little crunch on the gears when I was being lazy.

So, with very little room left and where bashing the firewall / floorpan wasn't giving any more room, it was time to start cutting. The first photo is the hole cutout ready for some skilful welding (prob not by me), and the piece cut out.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
That RHD dash, almost looks like a flipped American 1994 Chevy S-10 GMC S-15 minitruck dash.
They're the mid 90s trailblazer dash, GM was already making these in rhd configuration and they weren't importing the trucks and utes in large enough numbers to tool up totally new parts, so I'm told

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
They're the mid 90s trailblazer dash, GM was already making these in rhd configuration and they weren't importing the trucks and utes in large enough numbers to tool up totally new parts, so I'm told
I stand corrected. The Burbs that were imported had the trailblazer dash. Obviously the trucks and cab/chassis used the regular GMT400 later style dash, but reconfigured for rhd. Looks weird to American eyes, like the photo negative got flipped during film development. All in all, a very cool and unique build, very nice!

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The floor is all welded up and sealed, it's much more comfortable in the cab now. Tomorrow my goal is to swap in the 'add a leaf' springs. I haven't undertaken that job before so I'll see how I go and report back.