Aussie GMC C3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay so quick update... the 'add a leaf' springs are in, what a pain in the *$@!! Who put the handbrake cable there?
Anyway, they seem to give it some height and should help when loaded up. The U bolts are a tad short now so I'll have to purchase some more of those. They do tighten but sit about 3/4 in the nut not all the way and not ideal.

The side in the photos was done first and as you can see from the apparatus on the tray I was still learning. The other side was much quicker. I'll have to do some measuring to get the right bolts, then get a wheel alignment.

The straps were fed through the tray at one stage, I felt smart but it was actually a stupid idea. The other side of the garage was also a tight place to work in but I couldn't be bothered turning the truck around. Those bolts were tight, bend two breaker bars and the rattle gun had no chance!

You must be registered for see images attach

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, it's off to Queanbeyan next week to get an alignment. They also make their own U Bolts so that is good news as they will make them to suit. The new leafs are so short but hopefully they will stop the pack from frowning. It has got a steep stance now but I think they will settle a bit. Next job is fixing the aircon, huge job!

Terrick down Under

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have bought the bits for under the dash in my Dually, but am waiting to do it when i know i have a week to pull it apart and then back together.
Grab a couple of bags of sand and strap to your deck just over the axle to help bed in the new springs.

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New U-Bolts are in and rear end alignment is done. I'm going to tackle the rear wheel seals, bearings, shoes and cylinders next. I think I've seen enough videos to give it a go. I'll be sure to take plenty of photos. From what I've seen the full floating rears are much easier when it comes to the bearings etc. The diff oil needs a change anyway given the recent ring and pinion swap.

I'm also leaking a fair bit of oil, mostly coming out at the rear of the oil pan area, but it's got me worried it's the rear main which I only replaced recently. Not wanting to do that job again!!

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay quick update time;

Rear end was checked after the ring and pinion swap and all is good there, so new oil went in. While the cover was off the breather was cleaned, rear brake shoes changed, rear wheel bearings and seals installed and wheel cylinders swapped.

On the front end, oil pan gasket changed, valve cover gaskets swapped as leaking bad, front crank seal swap, and the harmonic balancer and pulley changed out for new ones too.

So a bit of work but no longer leaking. There's really only a few jobs left like swapping in the new red leaf spring bushes, then fix the aircon and gas. Everything after that is not really necessary but stuff I'd like to get done, like the air horn LOL!

DarioGMC

Reaction score
Very nice truck Clinton!!! Congratulations!!:cool::cool::cool:

I've got a quite similar truck (it's a K3500) and i'd like to do a manual conversion too...i've always driven manual cars, and automatics are boring(at least for me). If you've been able to do it in Australia, i think i can do it also in Italy, thank you for the big motivation you give me!!:cool:;)

Clinton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
H Dario,

PM me if you need any help with the conversion should you go down that line - I'm happy to help with what I can. For me it was worth every cent (actually thousands of dollars!) How do you go driving that beast on Italian roads???