Audio noise/static in aftermarket unit Aux port

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98SLE

Reaction score
I have a 98 K1500 with a professional installed JVC head unit and when listening to music on the Aux port, I’m getting a lot of hissing and static that changes with engine speed through the speakers also while driving. I use an iPhone 12 with the Apple branded Lightning to 3.5mm adapter, this headunit is older and doesn’t support Bluetooth or anything else besides CDs and FM radio. What can I look at as the source? Bad grounds or the like? Thanks in advance

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
that's a ground loop. try adding a ground wire from a S-C-R-E-W (man someone had to edit the censored words and probably remove most of them. we are all adults here for the most part.) on the stereo to bare metal under the dash somewhere. it should happen all the time though, not just with the aux cord. have you tried a different aux cord?

98SLE

Reaction score
that's a ground loop. try adding a ground wire from a S-C-R-E-W (man someone had to edit the censored words and probably remove most of them. we are all adults here for the most part.) on the stereo to bare metal under the dash somewhere. it should happen all the time though, not just with the aux cord. have you tried a different aux cord?
I have not tried, will try a different one though I don’t have another one on hand. Right now I use a Monster brand one, is that reputable or is there a different brand I should go for?

I haven’t tried the FM or a CD in it but I’ll try that out and see if it happens there also.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I have a bunch of monster audio cable and although I didnt actually buy any of it and I believe it's some of the best. it should be fine but it could also be damaged.

I'm not a pro audio guy but Inhave built a bunch if subs and set up a few systems.

Al

98SLE

Reaction score
I know multiple posts... nah I'm lazy lol. if you have a sub turn the low pass filter on and most of the noise will stop coming out of the sub.
I appreciate it but I don’t have a sub yet lol. Just the head unit and I replaced the speakers in the front doors but that’s all I’ve done so far

98SLE

Reaction score
So iPhones require a splitter that has an input for the charging cord and the 3.5mm aux in cord to connect to the phones Lightning port. I discovered the noise only occurred when the charging cord was connected and went away when the phone was connected only to the aux in part

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
right on. so if it returns when you get an amp and a sub run that extra ground like I mentioned. if I leave the high pass filter off I can hear the ground loop as it's being amplified. if the HPF is on I cant hear it through the sub at all. this also goes away if I touch the deck with a grounded wire... I can't really hear it through any of the other speakets but I need to run that ground as a permanent solution. I just need one more reason to tare into my dash... such as the fog lights I'm installing soon... I'll do it then.

enjoy!

Al