at a loss. replaced MAF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
So issue is "only" happening going over bumps? Some wire is chaffed, a ground is losing contact or something in that realm,

I'd agree that sounds like a connection making intermittent contact.

if I had to guess. But don't guess. At some point I was going to say that the MAF also has the IAT sensor

The new MAF likely has an IAT in it, but I don't think it's being used. The 454 has a separate IAT in the intake tube. Unless the IAT harness also plugs into the new MAF?

OP, I'd recommend watching this video, and part 2

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
South Main auto is 2 and half hours from me. IDK if i am at that point yet.

I believe i had 2 issues. I believe my MAF was slowing failing (threw out of range and lean codes) and a bucking issue with bumps. after replacing the MAF, my power has significantly returned, but going over bumps still causes bucking and fuel enrichment on short term fuel bank 2. Unplugging the MAF seems to have cured the bucking problem, what I am trying to determine now is what sensors are removed from the equation when the maf is disconnected. I am hoping the 02 but IDK.
The MAF is the only thing removed from the equation other than the PCM defaulting max line pressure on the trans.

Chevy Express

Reaction score
The MAF is the only thing removed from the equation other than the PCM defaulting max line pressure on the trans.
Then why does the problem go away, if i disconnect it, but when connected bank 1 trims remain normal, yet bank 2 trims go rich instantly during the bucking?

The must be doing some other calculations now since the sensor is removed. since the maf affects both banks, i don't see how only 1 bank is being affected, and while the bouncing is occurring the MAF is still giving readings....

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Then why does the problem go away, if i disconnect it, but when connected bank 1 trims remain normal, yet bank 2 trims go rich instantly during the bucking?

The must be doing some other calculations now since the sensor is removed. since the maf affects both banks, i don't see how only 1 bank is being affected, and while the bouncing is occurring the MAF is still giving readings....
I cannot answer that one, but I tune the VE tables in those PCMs with the MAF disabled. Then tune the MAF tables.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what happens at WOT with MAF connected, is it still using sensor? or going to default tune?
WOT it goes into power enrichment, similar to the power valve on a holley carb opening. Some engines have up to a 60 second delay on this. If the long term fuel trims are negative or zero it runs on the base programming. If the fuel trims are positive, it adds that much more fuel. So if its at +10%, the PCM adds 10% more fuel at all points at WOT. Either way at WOT the 02 sensors are ignored for fueling changes.