Anyone installed aftermarket distributor in 7.4 with TBI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

david71

Reaction score
I've ordered a pertronix bundle https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-bundle004 to go in my 7.4. I've replaced 2 ignition control modules in the distributor and am sick of it. The question is, pertronix says it's plug and play for the 93 C3500 but there directions doesn't mention crap about what to do with the ICM connectors. It looks like the fuel pump relay energizes from that signal and the oil pressure signal if that fails. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if so what I'm looking at wiring wise after install. Thanks in advance.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've ordered a pertronix bundle https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-bundle004 to go in my 7.4.
That's too bad. You should have asked these questions BEFORE you blew the money on under-engineered, Communist failure-prone crap.

I've replaced 2 ignition control modules in the distributor and am sick of it.
Repeat module failures are generally due to
A. Shytty Communist-Crap bottom-feeder modules, or
B. Failed ignition coil murdering the module.

Verify your ignition coil with an ohmmeter and a spark tester calibrated for HEI. Replace with a QUALITY ignition coil as needed. Buy a good module, send the Pertronix crap back to Summit.

The question is, pertronix says it's plug and play for the 93 C3500 but there directions doesn't mention crap about what to do with the ICM connectors.
Because they're lying about the Pertronix distributor being compatible. It's not. Not even close. You have spent money to create problems. This is a REALLY BAD IDEA.

It looks like the fuel pump relay energizes from that signal and the oil pressure signal if that fails. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if so what I'm looking at wiring wise after install. Thanks in advance.
Any wiring "solution" will be a mess.

If you don't like the reliability of the OEM ignition, you're gonna be really pissed when the Pertronix module and/or coil fails on you. If you're buying Pertronix, you'd better buy two of everything and put the spares in the trunk "for later". At least when the OEM system fails, you can get replacement parts at any parts-store in America--you won't have to mail-order them.

Last edited: