Vortec distributor in a tbi 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94chevc1500

Reaction score
Hello everyone wanted to ask if anyone has swapped a vortec 350 distributor in a tbi 350. Not necessarily looking for a performance upgrade it's time for me to probably change the distributor and I like the way the vortec cap rotor and wires look. Thank you

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'd never work.
The TBI distributor encompasses a pickup coil and the ignition control module. The plastic Vortec distributor is only a "mount" for a cam position sensor.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'd never work.
The TBI distributor encompasses a pickup coil and the ignition control module. The plastic Vortec distributor is only a "mount" for a cam position sensor.

Oil pump drive, Mount for a cam position sensor as well as the cap and rotor to orient the spark to the correct cylinder.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said--Vortec distributor in a TBI engine will not work.

The somewhat longer story is that you'd have to mount a crank-trigger system to create a signal for spark timing (which the Vortecs do with the crank sensor) and then figure out a way to route that signal to the ignition module (which the Vortecs do with the OEM wire harness and on-board computer.)