Any secrets for a bumping MPG on 1998 305?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Worked on and calibrated Aircraft weigh scales, for DND Canada. Each one could take a lot of LBs, KGs. One per wheel, too get a take off weight for a loaded C130.
Yeah, to get a new or corrected Zero Fuel Weight. At the C5 Galaxy Iso Docks had scales built into floor, wt check part of cycle.

cubandeathgrip

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, Great response.
Thanks for all the feedback, you guys are great.
The changes I like to make, after reading all the responses.

1: do a Highway lean.
How to make this mod? this mod interest me the most, sounds like a fuel flow mod.
I have the stock fuel injection for this year truck, like to research more on the fuel injection system.

2: replace stock air filter with K&N OEM fit/on amazon for 69$

3: EGR delete.
I how do I update ECU as to avoid an engine light?
Is there a instructions on GMT400.com for that?

4: open the exhaust .
Not looking for a loud sound, so maybe a chamber type muffler.
And a cat delete/or high flow. will the cat removed throw an engine light?

5:change rear end lube to synthetic.
BTW, I have a 14 bolt/semi floating axle/from what i can find on the internet about this truck.
305/6 lug/C2500
How do I find out what gearing I have?
I do about 70 mph on the highway, am around 1800 rpm.

thanks

the Grip

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1: do a Highway lean.
How to make this mod? this mod interest me the most, sounds like a fuel flow mod.
3: EGR delete.
I how do I update ECU as to avoid an engine light?
With a 0411 swap and get someone to flash it for you these will be included.

Don't waste your money, you already have a CAI from GM.
4: open the exhaust .
Not looking for a loud sound, so maybe a chamber type muffler.
And a cat delete/or high flow. will the cat removed throw an engine light?
A straight through muffler will give you better performance and economy. The flash tune will delete the downstream O2 sensors. If you remove the cats, it'll be quite a bit louder too.

Here's the results of an Engine Masters episode where they compared mufflers and 2-1/2" true duals against 3" Y single. Keep in mind duals with an H or X pipe will perform better. Bur, look at the difference in "Turbo" compared to "Straight Through" mufflers.
You must be registered for see images attach

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put a 3" single flow thru muffler on my Tahoe. Borla XR1 muffler. I lost power and torque. I had headers, no cats, mandrel bent pipes, 2.25" to 3" Y-pipe, Borla, single 3" mandrel tail pipe stock location. When I put the cat back on is when i lost power. Dunno how, the stock was small from a patch, dunno how it would even rev. Sounded good tho....Oh and a tune for all that, along with no EGR or down stream O2s. Didn't notice a difference.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Like PlayingWithTBI said, don't waste your money. I can tell you first hand that running oiled gauze filters in these trucks is a bad idea. You won't gain anything, and you'll introduce the possibility of a fouled MAF sensor due to oil and dirt buildup in the intake tubes. I have a drop-in K&N filter sitting on a shelf in the garage that I removed from my red truck years ago (along with a full K&N FIPK intake kit, also garbage) for these exact reasons. IMO the best filter to run in the '96+ factory intake is the ACDelco high capacity (K47) OEM paper filter. Part number A1301C.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A6X56U

FYI, the only company who makes aftermarket intakes for these trucks which are an actual improvement over the stock setup is Volant. All the others (Like K&N) are an open box design that draws hot air from the engine compartment, Volant maintains a sealed box that draws cool air from the factory fender hole.

honkon

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
sell it and buy a corolla for daily
I dunno anything about this "highway lean" mod but the name alone sounds like a recipe for engine detonation, also makes me think of the problematic chrysler "lean burn" strategy from the 70s.