Any secrets for a bumping MPG on 1998 305?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cubandeathgrip

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
12 mpg around town..even if i get half a mile mpg better, that could add up to keeping more $ in my pocket.

I had thought of heating the gas line going in to the motor, to have a better fuel spray..I had done this in the past with a water injection system. on old carb motors.

Just wondering if anyone had tried any tricks to help mpg.

thanks.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In town driving a 3.73 or even 4.10 will help MPG
Highway and empty a 3.73 or even 3.42 will help mpg
My 83 G20 had a 305/700r4 and 3.08s. Got decent highway mileage. Averaged 13-14 in-town and 19-22 on the highway. My 99 Tahoe had 33" tall P305/50R20s, 3.42 gears and a 4L60E behind the cammed Vortec 305. Got about 14 mpg city and 23 mpg highway. 70 mph was 1,700 rpm.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drive like your 'nads are under the gas pedal.

Check your tires' max pressure rating on the sidewall. Subtract the ambient temperature from 160°F. For every ten degrees below 160°F, drop 1 psi from the max rating. Air your tires to that pressure. I.E. if your tires are rated to 52 psi and it's 90°F outside, air them up to 45 psi.

Got wide tires? Go narrower. Go taller for more gearing. Go with a higher treadwear. But beware that narrower, harder tires will affect your braking distance.

Fix that A/C and don't drive with your windows down.

Get a bed cap.

Get the factory lip spoiler if yours is missing or broke - RockAuto's is cheaper, but has a $100 shipping fee. Summit's is a bit more expensive, but if you order over $100 it ships free - guess where I bought mine.

Lower your truck and put side skirts on it.

Put on sport mirrors and remove the antenna.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Get a bed cap.

Are you referring to a topper or a cover? The only thing that really works is something tapered like a fastback. Everything else is a waste of effort. A toppper creates a massive low pressure area behind the truck which may as well be a parachute. The cover? Meh. I saw a good article a while back but F me if I can find it now.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you referring to a topper or a cover? The only thing that really works is something tapered like a fastback. Everything else is a waste of effort. A toppper creates a massive low pressure area behind the truck which may as well be a parachute. The cover? Meh. I saw a good article a while back but F me if I can find it now.
ya me too, same as the tailgate down saving x mpg.