Any secrets for a bumping MPG on 1998 305?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
These guys, that is were we are heading in Kanada, No MPG to fret about, and at the end of the day, it is a meal in Quebec.
The miles per gallon may be great but a team that works, eats alot. And there is alot of maintaining going this route. Shire, Percherons, Belgians, yep been there.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you still have original poopete fuel injection or have upgraded multi port? Running your tires at 35 or a little more is ideal, there is no great advatage doing a math problem for max psi on an LT tire. The max psi is for operating at max load capacity. There is no decernable benefit. Now if you want B 777 Freighter with 35 ply 24's, dry oil free nitrogen adjusted for standard day plus 6, pressure altitude plus 850, we can do that. Did anyone mention get a 350?

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
0411 swap with egr disabled and lean cruise enabled pulled another 2-3 mpg out of my Express van with the L31 and gave it a noticeable amount more get up and go when needed.
I'm not familiar with this lean cruise mode...? What is this?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicles are designed to get the best mileage with a certain size tire at a certain pressure.
Typically, the engineers aren't that motivated. Besides, how many of us are running the factory spec tire? None of us. They aren't available any more.

If you're autocrossing, your tire temp will max out about 160°F. If you overdrive your tires and get them hotter, they won't last long whether or not you have more air pressure in them. The math I posted accounts for expansion with temperature.

Nitrogen doesn't have any real benefit unless you're in the aircraft industry or high-dollar professional racing.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I have nitrogen in my Burbs tires, I bought them mounted on aluminum rims already filled, maybe 4 or 5 years ago and they have not fluctuated in pressure at all.

I was so used to filling up a couple leakey tires that I was pumping them up almost every day.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with this lean cruise mode...? What is this?
Its basically a mode that is in the PCM that comes disabled in the US, but was active in Australia. At crusing speeds and light loads does exactly as the name suggests. It commands the air/fuel ratio leaner than 14.7:1 and ignores the 02 sensors since they do nothing leaner than 14.7. At 50-80 mph on flat road or downhill, I cruise about 16.5:1 with 3-4° more timing than at 14.7:1. If I need power to climb or go into a headwind the added load richens the mixture back up for added power. Works similar to a power valve or metering rod setup in a carb.