Any long term or short term problems with running 1 catalytic converter on one bank and the other bank doesn’t have one on a Y-pipe setup exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So 4 months in to owning this
This "WHAT"? WHAT VEHICLE???

Im dealing with a missing cat on the driver side down pipe and the 2nd original cat is still on the passenger side down pipe . So someone I know mentioned and noticed all this when I purchased the truck “ said it could lead to engine issues down the line sooner or later
Look up the exhaust system for a '75 Ford LTD, 400 2bbl.

Ford put a catalytic converter on the right bank, left bank had no converter.

I'm not saying this is optimal, and the '75 had no computer control and no O2 sensors, either. I'm just saying that it's been done before.

I just wanted to know if this scenario is actually causing my engine to run maybe richer or leaner or hotter off one of the two sides of the engine bank ?
Rich/Lean will not be affected. One side MAYBE runs cooler, but probably not enough to make any sort of functional difference.

4 months in driving a p0430 code arrived.
...it is a bad Catalytic converter or o2 sensor issue off the passenger side bank of the engine
Yes.

How old are the O2 sensors?

My Driver side cat is gone and filled with a 12” flex pipe
Any suggestions if I still have time to add a cat and should they both match in a sense?
WHY are you concerned about the driver's side when your code is for passenger side?

Should I do both new in a specific type maybe high flow or both just to make them alike , I’m not sure if an oem stock operates differently then a cheap aftermarket ?
OEM converters tend to be bigger and longer-lasting than "cheap aftermarket" converters. That is one of several reasons why the aftermarket converters can be so "cheap" compared to OEM-level, including the aftermarket converters built to OEM specs.

OTOH, even the cheap aftermarket converters meet EPA (but not CARB) specs.

Will doing this fix all this time later spare any type of catastrophic failures
There wouldn't be a catastrophic failure from a catalytic converter or downstream O2 sensor.

UPstream O2 sensors could screw things up. HOW OLD ARE THE O2 SENSORS?

I just wanted to know what’s best option for a replacement cat going back in that section and should the passenger bank have the same type of cat ?
First Guess: Put two catalytic coverters (inexpensive aftermarket) into your existing Y-pipe IF the Y-pipe is in otherwise good condition. If the Y-pipe has problems, replace the whole thing.

Install all-new O2 sensors.

Enjoy your truck.

I also wanted too just run a nicer sounding exhaust while I’m at it like true duals to the back , essentially ditching the y-pipe and just doing straight back off each bank after the cat with some borla mufflers midway’
"True Duals" will be louder and less-efficient than a system with a decent crossover pipe, or a system with a decent Y-pipe and large-diameter single exhaust downstream from the Y.

Given that you're pretty-much limited to running the exhaust down the passenger side due to fuel-tank, crossmember, and transfer-case issues, you might as well just keep a Y-pipe and single exhaust. Maybe go larger-diameter on the pipes, and a muffler to suit.

Keep in mind that aftermarket mufflers and pipes are generally "aluminized" mild steel. The OEM stuff is typically stainless and damn near good for the life of the vehicle. The aftermarket pipes are done in ten years.

Flowmaster "aluminized" cat-back system from my '88 K1500, about 15 years old but had problems long before I scrapped it.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

And in Michigan none of that bs matters
If you're in the USA--including territories--that "bs" does matter. It's against FEDERAL law to tamper with emissions control devices, not just state or local regulations.

The only thing you have going for you is that the Feds don't do emissions testing unless they really want you.

like @Sean Buick 76 said you tell them it is off-road use only
The EPA is actively working on policies that will prevent tampering of ANY pollution-controlled vehicle, including Off-Road or outright racing vehicles.

Here's what we have to look forward to: You want to build a race-only vehicle using donor parts from an emission-controlled vehicle? NOT LEGAL unless you keep all the emissions control devices in good working order.

You need to jack-up your CongressCritters to promote the "RPM Act" which has been getting zero attention for years.

If the tuner guys are being a little touchy, or cagey about deleting out certain ECM functions. It is a violation of EPA regulations in eyes of EPA. That's why they cracked down on a few tuner businesses.
Million-dollar or multi-million dollar fines. The coal-rollin' diesel boys know about this. Cummins got nailed, VW got nailed, and plenty of others.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yes you tell him your year engine and transmission I do not know if you have to tell him if you have a rwd or a 4x4 I am not shore if pickup suburban or yukon/tahoe/ escalade
Would a 2001 express 3500 series 5.7 new match for a 0411 pcm ?
One just came into local yard near me with pcm and harness

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
kind of the pcm will work and the 2 connectors that plug into it will work but you will want to cut them because the the part of the harness that plugs into the truck is not the same as the one that plugs into the van also if I did not say it in the things to have shut off/deleted turn off vats it is the security if you swap that pcm in it will never start because of it

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am not limited to how I route the exhaust no transfer case it’s a 2wd No gas tank in way it’s not a pickup it’s a suburban the tanks are at the ass end and centrally placed between the body after the differential in which I can run tail pipes over each axle or 45 out before the axles the entire factory exhaust is ran down the passenger side

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
kind of the pcm will work and the 2 connectors that plug into it will work but you will want to cut them because the the part of the harness that plugs into the truck is not the same as the one that plugs into the van also if I did not say it in the things to have shut off/deleted turn off vats it is the security if you swap that pcm in it will never start because of it
Yea I seen that explained in a video and that eBay 0411 listing for 180 has vats deleted
But I imagine I can snag this local 0411 from this 01’ 3500 express 100$ cheaper with plugs

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
Yea I seen that explained in a video and that eBay 0411 listing for 180 has vats deleted
But I imagine I can snag this local 0411 from this 01’ 3500 express 100$ cheaper with plugs
yes you can but you will have to send it off to be tuned the way you want it to be

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So have you looked at " Walker Exhaust " for replacement forward exhaust section.
Yes it's going to run like crap. Forward o2 sensor controls mixture. The aft or rear o2 sensor monitors CAT health.
Hmm.. no cat equals ECM losing its mind. Unbalanced back pressure, not to mention the " CO ", carbon monoxide that could be getting in the cab, from hose clamp exhaust.
Think, one bank has normal exhaust, connected opposite bank has free flow , I bet graphing engine parameters would be a LOL.
Yea I mean it’s gonna get fixed asap , i wasn’t aware of the incompetence going on with the exhaust system to a degree .
The cab Zero fumes the flex pipe is fairly new. I can tell and they did some type of cement and clamps. Like I said it’s original. It’s a Cali exhaust system it’s not rotted whatsoever. I think someone ganked the cat at some point prior. if the PCM was thrown off and it was doing a bunch of weird stuff, you would never know it this truck idles like a brand new engine, great gas mileage I can’t figure it out either. But I do realize all the facts of the facts. It either needs to go cat-less or a cat put back in place ASAP.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
0411 swap and do it yourself.

Wouldn't even have to 0411 swap as the '99 black box PCMs are supported by HPTuners already. Buy HPTuners, check a couple boxes to turn off the rear O2 sensor codes, done.