Any long term or short term problems with running 1 catalytic converter on one bank and the other bank doesn’t have one on a Y-pipe setup exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The EPA is actively working on policies that will prevent tampering of ANY pollution-controlled vehicle, including Off-Road or outright racing vehicles.

Here's what we have to look forward to: You want to build a race-only vehicle using donor parts from an emission-controlled vehicle? NOT LEGAL unless you keep all the emissions control devices in good working order.

You need to jack-up your CongressCritters to promote the "RPM Act" which has been getting zero attention for years.
Reading up on the rules for racing in Europe, it's normal for sanctioning bodies to require intact emissions systems on vehicles. I'm glad we don't have to deal with that here, but we have to defend ourselves by acting honorably. If we don't want the government cracking down, we need to make honest efforts to uphold the law. If we run around crying "The government can't tell me what to do!" and rolling coal, we have to expect a crackdown, and we'll deserve it.

It costs about $150 to put cheap cats on your exhaust if you can do the welding yourself. That's not chump change, but it prevents headaches down the road and does nothing to hurt your performance.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Reading up on the rules for racing in Europe, it's normal for sanctioning bodies to require intact emissions systems on vehicles. I'm glad we don't have to deal with that here, but we have to defend ourselves by acting honorably. If we don't want the government cracking down, we need to make honest efforts to uphold the law. If we run around crying "The government can't tell me what to do!" and rolling coal, we have to expect a crackdown, and we'll deserve it.

It costs about $150 to put cheap cats on your exhaust if you can do the welding yourself. That's not chump change, but it prevents headaches down the road and does nothing to hurt your performance.
I’ve begun to consider just that and keeping it with “ cats “ , but a new set of high flow stainless and just a nicer sounding Muffler and make due with some other pcm changes for performance like spark table changes / rpm governor lift / header swap and probably the air injection pump delete , because I need that driver side battery box

Beginning to realize It’s a suv not a standard cab truck so after all I can’t expect to get a full blow race truck experience from a boat size SUV ..
Most of my customization is being put into suspension work /audio and new paint this year

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wouldn't even have to 0411 swap as the '99 black box PCMs are supported by HPTuners already. Buy HPTuners, check a couple boxes to turn off the rear O2 sensor codes, done.
So your 100% specific that a 99’ model year black box that is in my 99 gmt400 suburban …
((Last year for the Obs suburban)) with the 8th digit vin code “R” is able to tune out rear o2 and other thighs like the 0411 but it is diff then the 96-97-98 black box it can tune like a 0411?
Wondering why I went to track down and purchase two 0411 pcms if I can do about as much as I need with my own box and avoid a pin-out

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your 100% specific that a 99’ model year black box... ...is able to tune out rear o2 and other thighs like the 0411 but it is diff then the 96-97-98 black box it can tune like a 0411?
Far as I know, '96 and '97 are not the same as '98-newer. The '96--'97 are the less-desirable units, but can still be tuned via the JET 14005 "Dynamic Spectrum Tuner". The aftermarket tuning is not as extensive or as convenient...I guess. The newer computers are "better" "faster" "stronger", able to leap tall buildings, etc.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So your 100% specific that a 99’ model year black box that is in my 99 gmt400 suburban …
((Last year for the Obs suburban)) with the 8th digit vin code “R” is able to tune out rear o2 and other thighs like the 0411 but it is diff then the 96-97-98 black box it can tune like a 0411?
Wondering why I went to track down and purchase two 0411 pcms if I can do about as much as I need with my own box and avoid a pin-out
The 98+ black boxes are supported by HP, you can do more with a 0411 swap than with the stock box however. If all you want to do is tune out the downstream O2 sensors sell the PCMs.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 98+ black boxes are supported by HP, you can do more with a 0411 swap than with the stock box however. If all you want to do is tune out the downstream O2 sensors sell the PCMs.
Im debating on it “ I may keep one for my s10 project , but I’d like to know the other tune perks I can still achieve with the 99 box / if it can do a few other thinfs besides o2 delete it may be worth avoiding the pin out .
I may be buying another Obs standard cab 0411 may be better suited for a pickup where I can actually utilize power and mods

I’ve changed my mind some on what I wanna do with my big ass suburban going the hot rod route doesn’t seem worth it just plan to make the exhaust nicer delete the air injection pump and maybe change to shorty headers .
So whether I should run high flow cats or go through all this delete is still plaguing me .

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im debating on it “ I may keep one for my s10 project , but I’d like to know the other tune perks I can still achieve with the 99 box / if it can do a few other thinfs besides o2 delete it may be worth avoiding the pin out .
I may be buying another Obs standard cab 0411 may be better suited for a pickup where I can actually utilize power and mods

I’ve changed my mind some on what I wanna do with my big ass suburban going the hot rod route doesn’t seem worth it just plan to make the exhaust nicer delete the air injection pump and maybe change to shorty headers .
So whether I should run high flow cats or go through all this delete is still plaguing me .
@Dropped88 is who tuned my 98, he can give you better input.
High flow cats are the easier option, I deleted them because I'm running long tubes. If you're gonna use shorties, may as well run cats.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I was wondering the same thing, which is why I mentioned this. :lol:

Like 618 and Schurkey said, the 0411 is a better PCM but by the sound of things you really don't need it.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
can the black box do a transmission swap because I think the op is planing to swap in a nv3500 at some point?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
can the black box do a transmission swap because I think the op is planing to swap in a nv3500 at some point?

Yes. My red truck ('97 C1500) was originally a 4L60E. I had a 4L80E swapped in and Black Bear Performance tuned the black box to control it with no issues.