Any long term or short term problems with running 1 catalytic converter on one bank and the other bank doesn’t have one on a Y-pipe setup exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So have you looked at " Walker Exhaust " for replacement forward exhaust section.
Yes it's going to run like crap. Forward o2 sensor controls mixture. The aft or rear o2 sensor monitors CAT health.
Hmm.. no cat equals ECM losing its mind. Unbalanced back pressure, not to mention the " CO ", carbon monoxide that could be getting in the cab, from hose clamp exhaust.
Think, one bank has normal exhaust, connected opposite bank has free flow , I bet graphing engine parameters would be a LOL.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
100% you keep the two upstream o2s. They are integral to the engine running properly. The rear o2s, I remove the 02 sensor, bag up and take the connector out of the way in case a future owner wants to use them.

The de foulers may trick the down stream 02s however as far as I know only the upstream 02s actually control the tune of the engine. Sometimes they work and other times they don’t. The check engine light will pop up for the downstream 02s not getting the proper readings but that won’t effect anything other than the light popping on.

Blackbear has tuned a bunch of my trucks and I always have them shutoff the downstream 02s in the tune so I can remove the cats without a check engine light. The truck being from Cali doesn’t matter just make the exhaust how you want.

Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes they are scared of the feds setting them up for emissions crimes. I just tell them it’s an off road only truck, they will tune it no issue. I don’t blame them, just play the game. They’ve tuned 4 of my trucks all without cats.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes they are scared of the feds setting them up for emissions crimes. I just tell them it’s an off road only truck, they will tune it no issue. I don’t blame them, just okay the game.
I figured that much and I’m on there side literally! I wanna pay for the fix
Just was weird how they communicate about what you want vs what they think you need .