Any long term or short term problems with running 1 catalytic converter on one bank and the other bank doesn’t have one on a Y-pipe setup exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes they are scared of the feds setting them up for emissions crimes. I just tell them it’s an off road only truck, they will tune it no issue. I don’t blame them, just play the game. They’ve tuned 4 of my trucks all without cats.
would there be any difference if I left the factory cats in place off each bank but straight piped it after them right along the frame to the back with mufflers midway off each side ?
Or should I delete cats all together and do the same ?

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don’t use the word federal lol you sound like a fed lol! I know your not but what would you think if you were them. Play along
Yeah, I see the way that sounds lol but it is called a federal emissions tune. That’s what I was told by another member here to use if I wanna do away with my secondary injection pump that’s why I asked them

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
like @Sean Buick 76 said you tell them it is off-road use only
So they’ know what guys want it’s just how you word it ! To ease there hearts about who there dealing with ? lol

And they really believe a L31 loaded with emissions junk top to bottom is off-road use only lol??

I think that’s where they think ok this guys doesn’t have a 383 stroker or something from 1982

As long as I know how to re approach them I think I have an idea what I need to do to get it all right

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s not easing thier hearts it’s covering thier ass so they can’t get in legal trouble for assisting people in contravening the laws.

It’s up to you but you do want it to be balanced so either both cats or none. I would start by buying that “off-road” y pipe kit someone posted above and then experiment with a few mufflers or straight pipes till you find what you like. When properly functioning the cats likely only eat up about 3-5 Hp each but that’s free Hp. When clogged up over time they can really screw up the flow. I use magnaflow mufflers, they flow great and sound nice.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It’s not easing thier hearts it’s covering thier ass so they can’t get in legal trouble for assisting people in contravening the laws.

It’s up to you but you do want it to be balanced so either both cats or none. I would start by buying that “off-road” y pipe kit someone posted above and then experiment with a few mufflers or straight pipes till you find what you like. When properly functioning the cats likely only eat up about 3-5 Hp each but that’s free Hp. When clogged up over time they can really screw up the flow. I use magnaflow mufflers, they flow great and sound nice.

Yes I seen the off road pipe 288$ at Jegs
Exact same as my y-pipe with no cats it does have 3 sensor ports
So if I wanna use that off road y-pipe and run all 3 sensors , how do I go about fooling the down streams angain without the company of any type of tune ?
Would anti foulers be the only help ?
You must be registered for see images attach

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
4.3 and 305 vortec have 2 upstream sensors and 1 downstream sensor 350 and 454 vortec have 4 sensors 2 upstream and 2 down stream the jegs pipe has both upsteams and one of the down streams the 2nd down stream sensor is on the other side of the flange that connects the the y pipe to the rest of the exhaust it is kind of hard to see but it is there

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Appreciate the advice from the crew
I will post back when I get it corrected .

I think I’m gonna either 50-50 chance run the second cat right away if I do and keep it stock.

Or find a mobile welder “ bro” who can weld me straight pipes ditch the Cats and run a stretch of the existing down pipes midway and I’ll put on some nice mufflers and dump at the axle or over !

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4.3 and 305 vortec have 2 upstream sensors and 1 downstream sensor 350 and 454 vortec have 4 sensors 2 upstream and 2 down stream the jegs pipe has both upsteams and one of the down streams the 2nd down stream sensor is on the other side of the flange that connects the the y pipe to the rest of the exhaust it is kind of hard to see but it is there
Does that o2 sensor location also go for the 99 CA emissions style y-pipe and exhaust setup that the suburban had
Some one here yesterday posted the difference between the two I believe the illustration were through Negimaparts.com