Another mystery wire.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TRUTH: The other end of the mystery wire, proven by way of continuity test, plugs into this connector:

You must be registered for see images attach

This is the front differential, passenger side, taken with me laying just behind the front tire.

As if I was confused enough before.....

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok... so I pulled some of that wire out of the harness behind the engine. It's a purple wire, not brown like I thought, and the loom it's in runs all the way down past the starter, to the connections on the front differential?? I have to see where the other end actually connects to because that makes NO sense.
No it doesn't, describe said test for continuity. Anything other than putting a lead on each end with power off/disconnected is going to reveal that. Key on, multiple paths can show continuity via ignition switch.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No it doesn't, describe said test for continuity. Anything other than putting a lead on each end with power off/disconnected is going to reveal that. Key on, multiple paths can show continuity via ignition switch.

Multimeter set to read continuity... red lead on one end, black lead on the other. I get an audible BEEEEP from the meter and like 0.2 or 0.3 ohms on the display. I'd call that proving continuity.

Oh and in case the naysayers ask, yes, the battery is disconnected.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Multimeter set to read continuity... red lead on one end, black lead on the other. I get an audible BEEEEP from the meter and like 0.2 or 0.3 ohms on the display. I'd call that proving continuity.

2 wires on that diff plug, one is a ground that should provide a ground continuously to a common ground, the other should only be powered when in 4wd, you got this figured out like you figured out what rings to start off with in the engine.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I found the answer. See the connector circled in red, in the figure below.

It may not plug in anywhere... as this truck does NOT have ABS.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, here is from the 92 diagram, it's connector, C160, at center back of engine , purple wire is circuit 420, as shown . Does your truck have an ABS module, if so you have RWAL.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So some where back there is the other half of the connector. As you said , just the engine all other wiring left in place. So the hunt continues.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

This, know it all attitude, along with your impatience, have been your biggest obstacles in accomplishing your goals. If you listened and took your time you'd be done by now, backordered cylinder heads, etc, not withstanding.

Last edited:

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This, know it all attitude, along with your impatience, have been your biggest obstacles in accomplishing your goals. If you listened and took your time you'd be done by now, backordered cylinder heads, etc, not withstanding.

Ok. What would you have done?