Andy’s 1995 CCLB 7.4L TBI to Vortec Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe @Supercharged111 can dive into the valet mode details? Either way the 0411 has low and high octane tables and uses knock learn to interpolate between the two. so you really don't need to activate a different model if you don't want to.

Good to know. So what else fun could we do with valet mode then? [emoji848]

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe @Supercharged111 can dive into the valet mode details? Either way the 0411 has low and high octane tables and uses knock learn to interpolate between the two. so you really don't need to activate a different model if you don't want to.

And boy does it work! I'm on my NA ignition map, started the journey with audible knock but it learned it out. Once I get to MI I'll log knock retard and that logged interpolated value to clean up the map.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You very well could be right. When I inquired about this a long time ago I think it was stated that it would take a custom operating system and EFILive to make it happen.

Both of these things are true as far as i know.. If you dig around the efilive forum you can probably find more, or email an efi live tuner.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
HPT doesn't have any of their own custom operating systems? COS5 also gets you alpha-n fueling, which is unnecessary, and semi- open loop fueling which is cool. Commanded AFR vs ECT becomes MAP vs RPM, LTFTs are disabled, and STFTs are used to trim AFRs to commanded which can be outside of stoich and leaner than PE.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
HPT doesn't have any of their own custom operating systems? COS5 also gets you alpha-n fueling, which is unnecessary, and semi- open loop fueling which is cool. Commanded AFR vs ECT becomes MAP vs RPM, LTFTs are disabled, and STFTs are used to trim AFRs to commanded which can be outside of stoich and leaner than PE.

If I do anything with EFILive I would just get Blackbear to do it for me. More than likely I'll be going the HPTuners route.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

They do, for the 0411s they have 1,2, and 3 bar SD, and MAF only operating systems, I think thats all of them? I'm not sure what all they have for features aside from the obvious boost stuff, probably the most notable cool thing is the real time tuning option.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the front oil galley plugs installed and put the front of the engine back together. Still not getting oil up into the top of the head when priming the oil pump using a drill. I'm using a home made primer that my Dad and I have always used and had good success with, but it doesn't seal around the distributor. I'm getting 40psi at the gauge. I then borrowed a purpose built primer from Autozone.

There's someone else's thread about priming here, but basically the Autozone one is junk:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/no-oil-pressure-after-head-gasket-change-huh.45320/

You might ask why didn't I prime it after it was all assembled? Good question. Partly not wanting to deal with the oil cooler lines, partly time constraints, partly absentmindedness. What I ended up doing before I put the valve cover back on was just put the distributor back in and crank it over a few times with all the plugs out. It wasn't long until I saw oil coming through the lifters. That's what I wanted to see. Put some antifreeze in it and gave it another try.