Andy’s 1995 CCLB 7.4L TBI to Vortec Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Can you not delete it? It keeps the intake much cleaner and had zero impact on mpg on either truck that I have.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you not delete it? It keeps the intake much cleaner and had zero impact on mpg on either truck that I have.

In the future I probably can. For now I'm just trying to get the stock black box to run as it should. I still get an occasional stumble and/or stall condition when coming to a stop and I'm hoping if I figure out what is giving me this code it will also fix the other.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What trucks (engine) did you delete and what kind of mileage are you getting. I do a lot of highway driving with my Vortec 7400 and was worried about losing mpgs as that big motor doesn't need all of that fresh air just cruising at highway speeds

Andy- what are you using to data log your black box? Any chance it would work on my 1997?

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your buddies hp tuners can also do it. Honestly with the headaches the egr is giving you i'd just tune this ecm to eliminate it. Worth the credits.

What trucks (engine) did you delete and what kind of mileage are you getting. I do a lot of highway driving with my Vortec 7400 and was worried about losing mpgs as that big motor doesn't need all of that fresh air just cruising at highway speeds

Andy- what are you using to data log your black box? Any chance it would work on my 1997?

He's using hp tuners, it will connect to your 97 but the number of parameters to log drops. It is only meant for 98+ computers.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Did it to both trucks in my sig. If the motor needs less fresh air, give it less throttle.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
X2 - then you can enable HLC (Hiway Lean Cruise) and get even better mileage.
Sorry, Tapatalk doesn't show signatures. I'll have to jump on a computer to check.

I haven't heard of HLC before. Is that something that requires a 0411 swap?
How lean can they go before you have issues? I'm surprised it works better than egr. Though I would be happy to not have exhaust gasses in my intake.

With regards to the thread at hand, I was wondering if there is any chance the egr valve is a somehow wired backwards? It seemed as though it was dropping to zero when you would expect it to go to 100% to test for egr flow.

If it helps at all I can look in my FSM but they are for 1997 models.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
@ZRoe That’s a good thought about it being wired backwards. I can say that when I command it to 100% using HPTuners it opens like it should. In addition to that, the engine harness of the ‘00 truck appeared untouched so it is wired backwards it would have been that way from the factory.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your buddies hp tuners can also do it. Honestly with the headaches the egr is giving you i'd just tune this ecm to eliminate it. Worth the credits.

I’m pretty close to doing just that. I’ve verified the intake manifold is open, I’ve checked the tube that runs from the EGR valve to the exhaust manifold. Double checked the functionality of the valve itself. I’m not sure what else to check. (Edit: And checked the accuracy of the map sensor, 4.8V ~ 100kPa). The only thing I can imagine it is now is something about the casting of the replacement exhaust manifold. Like maybe the port is cast too small or the fitting doesn’t have a large enough hole. Maybe my custom 2 into 1 exhaust mid pipe creates an amazing scavenging effect and there isn’t enough back pressure. [emoji12]

Last edited:

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
How is it that my speedometer in the truck reads +4mph at 55 but in HPTuners the speedo is right on? (Verified with GPS). Aren’t they using the same signal that’s coming from the VSS in the transfer case?