Am I looking for a unicorn?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThaEdge

Reaction score
I am looking for a unicorn! lol It would be a unique combination that came this way from the factory. I know they would be super rare "if" they existed at all.

Does anyone know if they do exist or how to tell if they exist maybe based off the vin numbers? Maybe how many where made?

I am looking for a 1996 to 1999, Crew cab, diesel, manual transmission, 4x4, and not dully.

Thanks!
My brother had one! It was a k2500. unfortunately it lived in North Dakota most of its life and was so rusted out the bed was falling off. When he was looking to replace the bed he realized the frame was rusted through so he parked it. I haven't heard about it in a while so he might have scrapped it. It had a 4 speed grany box with a divorced transfer case. We think it was out of an earlier 1 ton.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I was thinking about that. I found a dully that has 115K miles, very clean. I was thinking about converting it.
If it otherwise fits what you're looking for, do it! Probably easier to convert it to SRW than to find the exact truck you're hunting. It exists but as others mentioned not super common.

Never had a chevy diesel, wanted to give it a try. :) I know that is nuts, I have read all about the 6.5! lol

For some sick reason, I want one of the POSs too as a plow truck.

I have NO IDEA why I keep seeing 6.5td's locally and look at the ad. Why do I look at the ad? I loathe those boat anchors. But they sound so sweet (when they're running) .. I really do miss the '58 dually with its POS '94 6.5td.. UGH

Richard

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got 3 out of 4, my truck is a 2000 Chevy K3500, 6.5L TD factory SRW truck. My truck is one of about 4 SRW K3500s in my area; I bought it out of a local salvage yard.
Finding a SRW one ton isn't too difficult, but NV4500 trucks hold their weight in gold it seems.

Where are you located? That may help aide in building a profile of what do look for?

Attachments

• PXL_20221216_221218415.jpg
    PXL_20221216_221218415.jpg
    650.1 KB · Views: 9

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got 3 out of 4, my truck is a 2000 Chevy K3500, 6.5L TD factory SRW truck. My truck is one of about 4 SRW K3500s in my area; I bought it out of a local salvage yard.
Finding a SRW one ton isn't too difficult, but NV4500 trucks hold their weight in gold it seems.

Where are you located? That may help aide in building a profile of what do look for?
Here in CNY you would never find anything good enough to buy from a junkyard and I haven’t seen anything newer than 05/06 and those are sparse and rusted so bad there’s not many good parts on them. I don’t know where the newer stuff is going but it’s definitely not here

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would think getting a dually and putting a srw would be a faster way of having what you’re looking for than getting an actual truck. I have a dually that I think I’m going to do that with. A scrap guy owned it before me and the box and fenders are really beat up I have a flat rack on my current truck that the truck is about shot. I’m also going to swap the front axle to the straight axle and run a NP 205 case on the 4l80e

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Here in CNY you would never find anything good enough to buy from a junkyard and I haven’t seen anything newer than 05/06 and those are sparse and rusted so bad there’s not many good parts on them. I don’t know where the newer stuff is going but it’s definitely not here
Holy fu@k, I'm in Utica...

I just looked at my truck...she's starting to rot.

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
I would think getting a dually and putting a srw would be a faster way of having what you’re looking for than getting an actual truck. I have a dually that I think I’m going to do that with. A scrap guy owned it before me and the box and fenders are really beat up I have a flat rack on my current truck that the truck is about shot. I’m also going to swap the front axle to the straight axle and run a NP 205 case on the 4l80e
Why a 205 if I may ask?

How about a doubler?

Kens1990K2500

One Piece At A Time
Reaction score

My previous truck was a 2000 K3500, SRW. It had a regular cab and 8 foot bed, with a 5.7 Vortec. I sold it a few years back because state inspection was coming up, and it needed about $3,000 worth of work, which I couldn't afford to do within a short time span.

Parts for a K3500 (like brake parts) were definitely more expensive than my 6-lug K2500.

My fondest memory of that truck was taking it out after a foot-deep snowstorm to play with the 4wd. With BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2s, it was a beast in the snow.