All too common LS swap vs unique old school small block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll take the HP.
If its not already apparant, I'll take the torque and use a stock or near stock converter, an overdrive trans and tall gearing. Let the big block use its torque rather than spinning it. That big block loafing along at low rpm will last 2-3x as long.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If its not already apparant, I'll take the torque and use a stock or near stock converter, an overdrive trans and tall gearing. Let the big block use its torque rather than spinning it. That big block loafing along at low rpm will last 2-3x as long.

600k seems like a stretch, but it doesn't matter to me.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not do a straight 6 in the Obs that would be neat they didn’t come with it and is very reliable plus you could do fuel injection/turbo anything is possible I’m considering doing it I find them all day rebuilt for cheap
They came with I6s, just not here. They were optioned with a TBI 250 I6, a MPFI 250 I6 as well as an I6 Turbo Diesel south of the USA.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
You won't find much info on them, at least I can't, and I service Mexico and SA when it comes to performance parts. There was a gentleman on here that joined with a white single cab that had a I6 TD.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You won't find much info on them, at least I can't, and I service Mexico and SA when it comes to performance parts. There was a gentleman on here that joined with a white single cab that had a I6 TD.
I have driven a factory GMT800 Tahoe with a L31 5.7 and NV3500.
You must be registered for see images attach

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GMT 800 Tahoe? That looks like a GMT 400 to me. But you are right, the early GMT 800 trucks in the Mexican market still ran the L31...and manual is more common down there. The Mexican version of the Silverado is called Cheyenne.

The I6 from Brazil? I remember that white truck. IIRC he was from Argentina or somewhere down there...

Last edited: