All too common LS swap vs unique old school small block

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just thought I’d ask for some opinions… I have a 97 reg cab short bed, with a 4.3 and nv3500. She’s a little rough, I spent 2 years slowly going through it to make it a somewhat reliable daily. Eventually I am wanting to start rebuilding it with more of a resto mod outlook. I’m torn because it’s hard to argue with a LS swap because of what you can get for the money, and it really isn’t too big of an undertaking… but EVERYONE does it. I had a cool idea to go the “wrong” direction and build a pro tour 454 theme, but instead of a big block, a 454 cu in small block from blueprint engines. But this would be kind of a big project to try and come up with a good fuel injection system for a small block platform while trying to use factory harness and possibly pcm… idk just thought I’d toss these thoughts out to you all and see what comes out of it! Just trying to think differently.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The LS swap is just the most cost effective swap out there. They're cheap, parts are cheap, etc.

If you really want to be unique, keep the V6 LOL.
Lol I’d just hate to put a 3rd v6 in my truck haha, i absolutely 100% agree LS is the best for your money. It’s fun to think outside the box and do something that would make some people say “wtf would they do that” and others say “that is awesome lol”. But then on the other hand my wallet is always on the lean side. Haha

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I remember your truck from your previous posts. It's pretty nice! There's many ways to skin this cat: SBC, BBC, LS, etc. Agree with @0xDEADBEEF on the LS swap. I also did a 4.3 to 5.3/auto swap on my truck and I'm pretty happy with it. It's not a daily driver (weekender truck), but always look forward towards the weekend to drive it. Mine is stock though, for budget reasons.

IIRC in the 90s, the 454 was go-to for performance engine swaps, but times have changed. Except for here, I personally don't know of anyone doing a 454 for street fun on a RCSB, not that I'm really into performance trucks. My nephew did a 90 C1500 that he got from passed on down from his dad. He did 6.0 LS/TH400 nitrous. There's a kid around my block with a lowered late-GMT400 RCSB, but I'm pretty sure he's stock engine.

Powernation worked on turbo-charging a Vortec 4.3 on one of the recent videos. I can't remember if they've actually finished the project or not. A turbo V6 RCSB would be unique.

Honestly, no right or wrong answer. Bolt any V8 engine and get driving...build/upgrade as you go, if desired.

TCBRacer77

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I remember your truck from your previous posts. It's pretty nice! There's many ways to skin this cat: SBC, BBC, LS, etc. Agree with @0xDEADBEEF on the LS swap. I also did a 4.3 to 5.3/auto swap on my truck and I'm pretty happy with it. It's not a daily driver (weekender truck), but always look forward towards the weekend to drive it. Mine is stock though, for budget reasons.

IIRC in the 90s, the 454 was go-to for performance engine swaps, but times have changed. Except for here, I personally don't know of anyone doing a 454 for street fun on a RCSB, not that I'm really into performance trucks. My nephew did a 90 C1500 that he got from passed on down from his dad. He did 6.0 LS/TH400 nitrous. There's a kid around my block with a lowered late-GMT400 RCSB, but I'm pretty sure he's stock engine.

Powernation worked on turbo-charging a Vortec 4.3 on one of the recent videos. I can't remember if they've actually finished the project or not. A turbo V6 RCSB would be unique.

Honestly, no right or wrong answer. Bolt any V8 engine and get driving...build/upgrade as you go, if desired.
Thank you for the kind words!
I’ve looked into the built 4.3s, kind of a cool idea. We all know the dollar to HP doesn’t make sense but that’s not the point, it’s a cool concept that’s different. I agree there is no right or wrong! But I enjoy sharing thought processes, especially with those that have been doing this a lot longer than me! If anyone has any additional out of the box ideas it’d be cool to hear!

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Yep but there are companies doing replica, or their own stuff out there from what I remember.