Aftermarket EFI on Vortec 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll probably catch some negative feedback for this line of thinking, but here goes..As the title says I'm considering ditching the factory dual intake/mutli port FI system for an aftermarket FI system. Yes, I know: It's probably not as efficient as the factory system; it probably doesn't make as much hp/torque as the factory system; it's not exactly plug and play; and on and on. I get all that. Here's my reasoning: I want to eliminate the hard to work on, unreliable 2 intake system; I want to make it easier to work on other parts of the engine that are nigh impossible to work on as things are now, such as the distributor, fuel pressure regulator, oil pressure sending unit..Granted, those things don't go out often, but given the problematic nature of the 2 intakes on the Vortec BB I'm willing to trade a little power for more reliability and ease of maintenance. No more worries about having to pull the entire upper intake, fuel rail, and all injectors if the lower intake develops a leak, no more worrying about having to pull the upper intake if something happens to the fuel pressure regulator..This truck will eventually be my DD and won't be used for pulling anything heavier than a 10ft trailer and 4 wheeler, won't be used in tractor pulls, mud bogging, or the like, just the occasional trip to the deer lease and back and forth to work. And, I just want to see if it can be done.

All that in mind, will the factory pcm still control the transmission or will I need a separate controller?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Long gone now but there was a guy on FullsizeChevy that made over 500 with his IIRC. But with an 0411 ECM and intake with the fuel rails, don't see why not.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We put a fitech setup on a buddy's 96mm turbo big block swapped square burb, their setup works awesome, and is (relatively) cheap and easy. They also have a standalone GM trans controller, and while I don't have direct experience with it, I have no reason to think it wouldn't be just as good.
If you're not planning on making more power you can get the low end system they offer and a trans controller and be under 2k.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably a little outside the budget but I believe the higher end Holley EFI systems can control the tranny as well.

I am with you on the serviceability of some items not to mention the valve cover restrictions which are a little more aesthetic in nature unless you are going for adjustable valve train.

I believe someone on here found a way to bypass/delete the factory FPR and use a frame rail mounted regulator. That is probably the route I will eventually go. I also have on 0411 ready to go so I'll probably try to go coil on plug instead of replacing another distributor.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unreliable two intake system? I'm pushing 300k miles on mine. It's been apart once to replace the gasket, but all the components are original.

I'd say your story is the exception not the rule, at least from personal experience and anecdotal evidence on the internet. I've owned two and while it's probably largely due to lack of maintenance and prior abuse from previous owners, they've been nothing but trouble.

8T7K5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably a little outside the budget but I believe the higher end Holley EFI systems can control the tranny as well.

I am with you on the serviceability of some items not to mention the valve cover restrictions which are a little more aesthetic in nature unless you are going for adjustable valve train.

I believe someone on here found a way to bypass/delete the factory FPR and use a frame rail mounted regulator. That is probably the route I will eventually go. I also have on 0411 ready to go so I'll probably try to go coil on plug instead of replacing another distributor.

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

I've thought about coil on plug too, been looking at parts from the L21 big block but finding valve covers for them might be a little difficult. An 0411 swap is something I've considered too, I just want to get the fuel system lined out before tackling that.

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you pick the right intake, you probably won't lose power, maybe a little torque down low though. Most of the aftermarket intakes won't have runners as long as the factory so it'll shift the range up.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The ONLY reason I went with aftermarket EFI is because it was going to cost me nearly as much to tune my TBI to run with a .525 lift cam.

If you're looking at an aftermarket EFI as a chance to run down that rabbit hole and hot rod your truck, then be sure and start a build thread!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The factory injectors suck, the distributor wears, the regulators go bad, the nonadjustable valvetrain wears.. all once they get a whole bunch of miles. I don't see how the intake design is to blame. The only time the lower intake needs to come off would be is if the gaskets leak, and that job is the same regardless of intake design.

You can convert to adjustable valvetrain with the stock valve covers, btw.

I've seen a few people ***** about working on the distributor with the upper intake in place but I just don't get it. I've replaced several Vortec 7.4 distributors without removing anything except for the coil/module bracket which is 2 bolts.

To clarify, I've owned several Vortec 7.4 trucks with lots of miles/abuse and suffered some of their weak points but never felt like replacing the intake/fuel injection setup with something entirely different was of any advantage. Oh, and I've never had to do intake gaskets on one yet.

Richard