After head gasket change, no start. C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So after full charge, no start. Still just click.
Check battery terminals and cables. Clean any corrosion. Ensure proper fitment.

Single click is possibly faulty starter solenoid. Hit the starter with a mallet while someone turns the ignition key.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
Op mentioned a relearn which I think is a passlock term, that relearn (leaving the key in the run position for extended periods of time) process is probably counter productive in the case of trying to get the starter to turn, discharging the battery isn't going to help solve that.

FWIW 1998 came equipped with passlock (theft deterrent), my understanding is that it disables the injectors. So the starter and fuel pump aren't going to be interrupted by it.

The 1998 (gas) starting circuit / diagram can be found here.

Located on page 1014 in my pdf viewer, it is labeled as page 6-994

The above manual is from this thread here.

Thanks to forum members for those manuals.

Seems as though the starter circuit is a somewhat simple to diagnose, it doesn't rely on the computer, unlike those other issues mentioned in the OP.

Curious as to where the sound of the "click" is coming from, such as the starter relay or the starter itself or maybe even somewhere else.

Best of luck and welcome.

Last edited:

Thatlowchevy

How’d I get inside this tube?!?!
Reaction score
On one of the many project GMT400s I’ve owned. I replaced head gaskets on a 98, same scenario. No crank no start, ended up being a combination of missing ground and a wire that got pinched when I put the heads back on. Check around the backside of your heads and make sure no wires fell victim to the clamping force of the head. After I repaired the wire that was pinched and replaced the missing ground she fired right up. That one didn’t last long though as I didn’t know at the time a ‘95 transmission was a one year only deal. And me being 16 at the time couldn’t afford the correct transmission. Also remember KISS. Keep it simple stupid

Skylar M

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I don’t think The battery is the problem as the battery and starter were actually changed for both new ones together on feb 10 2022. I actually have done the big 3 upgrade before and switched out the negatives and positives with 4 gauge. I keep track of everything that I do to my vehicles and when. So i dont think bad starter. I’ll check the relay though to make sure. I think I will need to check my grounds and the wires around. But if the starter wasn’t grounded correctly, would that keep the fuel pump from priming? you can usually, clearly here the fuel prime when you turn the key to the on position. But now nothing. The relay is still good based off multimeter test.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo