AFM Control, Shutting down Cylinders to increase fuel economy Idea/bs thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Yeah, but a 6.0 is > 5.3... though 5.3 > 5.7... Its probably going to be easier, and I could wind up with less miles on the motor or motor and trans if I went with a motor swap... Then I could make a little street tube buggy out of the old engine and trans... :naughty:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but a 6.0 is > 5.3... though 5.3 > 5.7...

'eh thats a matter of opinion.

AFM would be cool on a gen 1 SBC, but just not worth all what is required for it.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
In stock ponies plus fuel efficiency in consideration, ignoring the crapti-spark module...

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In stock ponies plus fuel efficiency in consideration, ignoring the crapti-spark module...

what are you taking about? opti-spark was on LTx motors, not LSx. stock ponies on genIII motors were slightly higher, however also much higher in the RPM range which to me is less usable, and fuel efficiency in real-life situations (i.e. not the window sticker numbers) is about the same. the gen III stuff is good and nice, and nice and good, just saying '6.0>5.3, and 5.3>5.7' is a broad opinion based statement and not true for every situation.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Yeah on the LT part... Didnt find that out until after I posted that and was at the shop... 5.3 and 5.7 wind up being nearly the same, like you said. I guess the only thing the 5.3 would have over a 5.7 would be it being manufactured more recently, but that doesnt mean its better... I do have to say the 6.0 I worked on last night was pretty beastly, 2.75" or 3" dual exhaust on it factory...

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah on the LT part... Didnt find that out until after I posted that and was at the shop... 5.3 and 5.7 wind up being nearly the same, like you said. I guess the only thing the 5.3 would have over a 5.7 would be it being manufactured more recently, but that doesnt mean its better... I do have to say the 6.0 I worked on last night was pretty beastly, 2.75" or 3" dual exhaust on it factory...

yeah, that genII LTx optispark crap sucks, the LSx coil near plug setup is very nice though, thats a BIG positive for the GENIII motors. one reason I converted my genIe over to that with LS2 coils. and it gives full spark control to you through the tune, no more being tied to a crappy distributor. every motor style has its pros and cons though. the exhaust on the 6.0's are nice, I wanted to find some of the big stock cats for my exhaust setup but couldn't find any in my price range that were in good condition.