AFM Control, Shutting down Cylinders to increase fuel economy Idea/bs thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
So to keep clutter out of the 411 ecm thread I want to hear a little about AFM setups where the engine shuts down 4 of the cylinders to save fuel.

I know its not as simple as just killing injectors and spark to them, but I am interested in how it works, I know some have already done research on this and I am going to look into this a lot more when I get more free time, Im posting this up really quick before I hit the books...
You guys may be getting tired of me posting these questions / ideas before I get much research into them,:killer: but Im just trying to see if others have looked into these things before me... :shrug:

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i had it on my 07 back when i had the 07 lol. it was amazing, i got like 25 hwy or so. the only time i could tell it was switching was after i put an exhaust on it. but to kick this off for you in just open brainstorming, doesnt there need to be some kind of fuel in the engine to lube the cylenders while in this mode? also, is the firing order the same? or does the firing order change when in this mode? or does it simply just shut down certain cylenders? im just trying to get some solid base info from the newer trucks system to start this off, we need to know everything about how it works on the new truck in order to come up with a way to make it work on our trucks! im not saying im interested in doing this to mine but i would certainly like to think of ways to make it work. and if its somthing you can still have alot of performance parts with i may be interested in doing it to mine. we'll see.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFM (active fuel management), or DOD (displacement on demand) is where under certain circumnstances cylinders 1, 4, 6, 7 will basically shut off, making your V8 into a V4, mainly to save fuel while cruizing and such.

as far as I'm aware, (I've never owned a truck with AFM on it, just read some stuff about it), the major components of the AFM system is obviously a PCM which can control the AFM parameters...then there is a special hydrualics system which consists of a special oil pump/solenoid in the engine valley and special lifters to control the valves on these disabled cylinders.

here are some quotes about AFM.
In order to deactivate a cylinder, the exhaust valve is prevented from opening after the power stroke and the exhaust gas charge is retained in the cylinder and compressed during the exhaust stroke. Following the exhaust stroke, the intake valve is prevented from opening. The exhaust gas in the cylinder is expanded and compressed over and over again and acts like a gas spring. As multiple cylinders are shut off at a time (cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7 for a V8), the power required for compression of the exhaust gas in one cylinder is countered by the decompression of retained exhaust gas in another. When more power is called for, the exhaust valve is reactivated and the old exhaust gas is expelled during the exhaust stroke. The intake valve is likewise reactivated and normal engine operation is resumed. The net effect of cylinder deactivation is an improvement in fuel economy and likewise a reduction in exhaust emissions.

A solenoid control valve assembly integrated into the engine valley cover contains solenoid valves that provide a pressurized oil signal to specially designed hydraulic roller lifters. These lifters disable and re-enable exhaust and intake valve operation to deactivate and reactivate engine cylinders. It uses engine oil to hydraulically modulate engine valve function.

so you can see that beyond cutting fuel and spark, you've got a whole hydraulic system working to control the valve functioning. the PCM wouldn't be the problem in a gen 1, they even have a 58x reluctor for us to run LS2 PCMs with. the problems come with the additional hardware for the hydraulic system, which in order to add to a SBC would take pretty extensive work, if it would even be possible, for a minor MPG gain.

here's a pic that shows a little bit of the hydraulic valve control system.
You must be registered for see images

hope that makes sense.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you would probably spend way more retro fitting than it would cost to just swap a newer motor into your truck.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
basically in short, not worh the hassle to save a few bucks in gas lol. atleast not to me at all! i mean im all about thinking about these things but i wouldnt put that kind of money and work into my motor to save me some money.

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you would be driving that truck many many many many many years before you got your investment back

i know gm did the DOD thing way back in the day and it was pretty crappy. i wanna say cadilac but do not remember exactly. i think between the valve system and the new firing order is how it works well. i read the original system was pretty lackluster

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i liked it on my 07 silverado, but i could sleep at night just fine without it!

jcro61

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
from wikipedia so dont crucify me if its not accurate:
"For 1981 Cadillac introduced a new engine that would become notorious for its reliability problems (with the electronics, not the robust mechanical design), the V8-6-4 (L62). The L61 had not provided a significant improvement in the company's CAFE numbers, so Cadillac and Eaton Corporation devised a cylinder deactivation system called Modulated Displacement that would shut off two or four cylinders in low-load conditions such as highway cruising, then reactivate them when more power was needed. When deactivated, solenoids mounted to those cylinders' rocker-arm studs would disengage the fulcrums, allowing the rockers to "float" and leave the valves closed despite the continued action of the pushrods. These engines are easily identified by their rocker covers, which each have elevated sections over 2 cylinders with electrical connectors on top. With the valves closed the cylinders acted as air-springs, which both eliminated the feel of "missing" and kept the cylinders warm for instant combustion upon reactivation. Simultaneously, the engine control module would reduce the amount of fuel metered through the TBI unit. On the dashboard, an "MPG Sentinel" digital display could show the number of cylinders in operation, average or instantaneous fuel consumption (in miles per gallon) or estimated range based on the amount of fuel remaining in the tank and the average mileage since the last reset.

Another rare and advanced feature introduced with DFI was Cadillac's truly "on-board" diagnostics. For all those mechanics who had to deal with the 368's, the cars contained diagnostics that didn't require the use of any special external computer scan-tool. The new Electronic Climate Control display, along with the MPG Sentinel, provided on-board readout of any stored trouble codes, instantaneous readings from all the various engine sensors, forced cycling of the underhood solenoids and motors, and on the V8-6-4 motors, manual cylinder-pair control. The L62 produced 140 hp (104 kW) at 3800 rpm and 265 lb·ft (359 N·m) at 1400 rpm. Cadillac hailed the L62 as a technological masterpiece, and made it standard equipment across the whole Cadillac line.

While cylinder deactivation would make a comeback some 20 years later with modern computing power (and using oil pressure to deactivate the valves, by collapsing the lifters) Cadillac's 1981 V8-6-4 proved to have insurmountable teething problems. The biggest issue was that the Engine Control Module simply lacked robustness, and the programming & processing speed to efficiently manage the cylinder-deactivation under all load conditions. In an effort to increase reliability, Cadillac issued thirteen updated PROM chips for the ECMs, but many of these engines simply had their Modulated Displacement function disabled by dealers, leaving them with permanent eight-cylinder operation. This was accomplished by merely disconnecting a single wire from the transmission's "3rd-gear switch", or running it through a switch inside the car for manual override... The 368 was dropped from most Cadillac passenger cars after the 1981 model year, although the V8-6-4 remained the standard engine for Fleetwood Limousines and the carbureted 368 remained in the Commercial Chassis through 1984.

The 368 has the distinction of being the last traditional "big-block" cast-iron pushrod V8 engine available in production cars - it lasted until 1984 in the limousines. All rival big blocks disappeared between 1976 and 1978. In the RWD models it was always coupled with the heavy duty THM400 transmission, the last factory-produced GM car to come with this"

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
On April 8, 2003, General Motors announced this technology (now called Active Fuel Management) to be commercially available on 2005 GMC Envoy XL, Envoy XUV and Chevrolet TrailBlazer EXT using optional Vortec 5300 V8 engine. GM also extended the technology on the new High Value LZ8 V6 engine in the Chevrolet Impala and Monte Carlo as well as the 5.3L V8 LH6 engine in the last generation Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS and Pontiac Grand Prix GXP. In both designs, half of the cylinders can be switched off under light loads.
Also a rip from Wikipedia, but looking at this it would just be better to pull one of those 5.3's and swap it in... If they made this on a 6.0 since ~'04 It would be my preferred swap. the 5.3 just doesn't seem like enough benefit for the work kinda thing... I figured it wouldn't be anything as simple as shutting down an injector, but This was one of those things that I wondered how feasible or not it was to try.

Another rip form Wiki:
In order to deactivate a cylinder, the exhaust valve is prevented from opening after the power stroke and the exhaust gas charge is retained in the cylinder and compressed during the exhaust stroke. Following the exhaust stroke, the intake valve is prevented from opening. The exhaust gas in the cylinder is expanded and compressed over and over again and acts like a gas spring. As multiple cylinders are shut off at a time (cylinders 1, 4, 6 and 7 for a V8), the power required for compression of the exhaust gas in one cylinder is countered by the decompression of retained exhaust gas in another. When more power is called for, the exhaust valve is reactivated and the old exhaust gas is expelled during the exhaust stroke. The intake valve is likewise reactivated and normal engine operation is resumed. The net effect of cylinder deactivation is an improvement in fuel economy and likewise a reduction in exhaust emissions.
I wonder if you couldn't move the "deactivator" from the lifter to the rocker arms Like the original system was somewhat setup?
You need the C.O.P. setup like an LSx to shut down cylinders individually so thats all that cost right there, then design and manufacture the arm or replacement plus a valve cover for it as well, then a 411 swap with an EFI Live setup to go with it... Its a dream, but if we don't dream we don't move forward.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i wouldnt mind having a 5.3 if your going to swap out the l31, i dont want to but i know that 5.3 rips like crazy in comparison just stock. my 07 had the 5.3 with that fuel management and all that, it was just as fast if not faster than my 97 and all it had was flowmasters and a k&n.