A shocks question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 k1500 non z71 frame, underneath a 98 z71 body. When I swapped the frame, I put a 2 inch leveling kit. It rides nothing like it used to. Its so rough. It feels like there is metal rods underneath.. no shock travel at all. Me and my dad realized there isn't any shock travel. When I cranked the bars, it took the shocks out the whole way. It feels like the frame is all one piece.. haha its hard to explain. Anyways,

what reccomeended shocks should I get? I want the smoothest ride possible. Id like to offroad. Theres no offroading at this point.

Is longer shocks gonna make a difference? My lift was a 2 inch.. or isnt it gonna be different since the torsion bars? I know the shocks are too short because they are stock. All my lift did was bring the frame to the same heighth as the previous z71 frame.

What's the problem with shocks to soft? I've heard people complain. But isn't a smooth ride what we want??

And I know this is a little of subject.. but with a 2 inch lift, would you need longer sway bar, or sway bar end links?

Any advice would be helpful. . Thanks!

Anyways please offer some advice.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
The only difference in a 4x4 and a Z71 is the Z71 has skidplates, Bilstien shocks and different stickers! so that being said the frames are the same. the reason it rides bad is because you cranked the torsion bars to much. shock can possibly help. i would go with Bilsein shocks. they will have the best ride!

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Levelling kits are useless on our trucks, basically lets you crank too much, climb under your truck with a 18mm socket an de crank abit, should fix it.

I would also install shock extenders

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys! And what about endlinks? Do i need longer ones? And I seen a skyjacker or superlift set of extended control arms for the front. This would lift it.. but would that help ride quality?

benjaminbarton55

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So there is no way to lift/level your truck without destroying your front end parts and ride quality? (Besides a true 4-6 inch lift)?

Clutch1819

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the ifs on my 98 with a 6 inch lift wears out quicker than anything I've ever had. I've replaced tierods and balljoints 2 times in the past 2 years. With moog. I don't do any hardcore wheeling. Its a dd so I tend to take it easy. Imo I don't think its gonna matter if its cranked or suspension lift

Sent from my SCH-I405

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Install longer shocks first of all. Skyjacker or Rancho if you want to go cheap or Bilstein if you want a higher quality shock and better ride.
If shocks are too soft, they aren't going to do their job and you'll be bouncing up and down 24/7.

If it still rides rough, decrank the torsion keys a bit.

You don't need longer control arms. The kit you posted will help, but it's still not ideal.

Clutch, perhaps your suspension is cranked past where the lift was intended to allow. All the IFS lift does is drop the IFS system down a specified amount. It's still up to you how far to crank it, and cranking it is still going to wear out components.

The BEST thing you can do for ride quality with a little bit of lift is get the RCX 4" kit, and a set of Bilstein shocks.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
OEM shocks should not top out even with the torsion bar adjusters maxed out. Stick your head in the wheel well and look at the upper arm. There is a frame stop that the upper a arm will contact, commonly referred too as a droop stop. If the bars are cranked up too much the arm rests against that stop and essentially becomes a rigid front end. The truck will ride like crap and hammer every bump since the only suspension action you will have is the tire sidewall deflection.

The fix is to back the adjusters off until you have travel again.

Be warned: even if you're not touching the stops they will hit on bumps if you are still too close to them. The resulting "bang" from them hitting on a bump will make you crap your pants the first time you hear it.

Also, your camber and toe are probably messed up if you've adjusted the bars up that much. Accelerated tire wear is the usual result...