A Real Doozy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys so i was driving to work yesterday morning and i hit about 115kph then everything died on the engine so i pulled over on the highway and it would turn over but wont start.. its a 96 with the 5.7 vortec.. my initial thought was fuel pump.. so i turned the key but i could still hear it turn on.. so im at a loss.. its at a shop right now and they will have a look at it tomorrow.. what kinds of things for a repair could i be looking at? i just did dist. cap+rotor+wires+plugs+seafoam and i baby the truck, everything has a fresh tune up on it and its very well maintained because i am a light duty mechanic but not into deeper stuff like this, any help would be great guys, thanks!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
#1 suspect on Vortec small block - check fuel pressure. Mid 50's or better, actual spec is 60-66 psi. It varies from truck to truck but once you get into the low 50's most of them won't even start.

#2 check spark. New parts aren't always good parts.

Richard

jasonreichle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
#1 suspect on Vortec small block - check fuel pressure. Mid 50's or better, actual spec is 60-66 psi. It varies from truck to truck but once you get into the low 50's most of them won't even start.

#2 check spark. New parts aren't always good parts.

Richard

yea i wish i had a fuel pressure gauge im going to have to invest in one... and yes i know some of them arent but i got fairly expensive NGK plugs, Champion wires ($132) and AC delco cap and rotor i believe they were..

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
yea i wish i had a fuel pressure gauge im going to have to invest in one... and yes i know some of them arent but i got fairly expensive NGK plugs, Champion wires ($132) and AC delco cap and rotor i believe they were..
Expensive doesn't always mean that you won't have duds from time to time