A/C Delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any how tos out there on an A/C delete on a 97 Vortec K1500. My A/C doesnt work so I just want to remove the pump but someone told me the heater runs through the A/C system as well.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Your truck would lose the ability to dry out the air coming from defrost, which is how it removes fog from the inside of your windshield.

Unless the compressor is locked up, I wouldn't remove it....you'll want cold air some hot summer in the future. If you absolutely must do it, you may be able to buy a shorter belt to bypass the compressor or install an eliminator pulley. I've done the eliminator pulley in my Mustang, but I don't know what's available for these trucks.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man! A/C doesnt work, nor will it ever. I dont usually use it. Alright, i was just looking at doing it to clean up under the hood a bit. But could I just pull the pump and run the pulley with no defrost issues? Im also thinking of running a second alternator at some point and ive heard mention of using that area as a mounting point.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
You'll definitely have defrost issues from time to time, but it's not the end of the world. In my Mustang I've had to pull over a few times and wipe down the inside of the windshield just to see since removing my AC compressor.

HerpDerp1919

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, that could be an issue. Maybe ill just have to try and clean my pump up good. Is it possible to paint that front part of the pulley without messin up the bearings?

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got this idler from Napa for $40 and deleted my compressor. The condenser and lines got smashed when the truck hit a tree, and I don't want to spend money on fixing it.

attachment.php

Yamaben

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rain-X can help keep the windshield from fogging up

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
^^ iv tried it, it don't work on the inside. None of my vehicles have ac. If you have defrost problems (rarely, and i live in mississippi where the humidity stays 99%), just leave the defrost on high and crack the window a little. Usually clears it right up.