A/c delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kurtperk48

Reaction score
I live up in northern Maine where the summers are short and avenges about 80 degrees in the summer time. I don’t run the truck in the winter nor do I drive it cold enough to run the heater. My a/c is not working. Wondering if there is anyone that has deleted the a/c. Benefits? Less load on the motor? Positives? Negatives? Looks for advice and if anyone has done this.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I live up in northern Maine where the summers are short and avenges about 80 degrees in the summer time. I don’t run the truck in the winter nor do I drive it cold enough to run the heater. My a/c is not working. Wondering if there is anyone that has deleted the a/c. Benefits? Less load on the motor? Positives? Negatives? Looks for advice and if anyone has done this.
Living in south Louisiana all my life, the AC is a necessity, not a luxury, that you can live without, for the most part. That being said, I have done AC repair work on my vehicles for years. When the AC compressor is on, it puts a load on the engine, but when the compressor kicks off, that load is gone. At that point, you basically have an idler pulley, on the compressor. It is doing no work at all. The reason that old hot roders, used to pull the compressor off, was to reduce the overall weight of the vehicle. It's the simple power to weight ratio thing. Since you don't really need the AC system where you live, it won't hurt anything to yank out the system, or just the compressor, and lines. The AC system, is a separate system from the rest of the vehicle. It is a self contained, sealed system. Pulling it off, will not effect anything else, except your serpentine belt, and they make an idler pulley to replace the AC compressor that is the same size as the pulley on the compressor.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If the A/C or defrost is not on, then there's no extra load on the engine. When the compressor clutch is not engaged, it is simply spinning on a bearing, just like an idler pulley.

Removing it devalues the vehicle. You may think you'll own it forever, but when you go to sell it, "no A/C" is a huge minus.

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone I know who deleted A/C regretted it later. They gave me all the excuses...wanna lose weight, wanna remove "clutter". Wanna have better performance. Race-cars don't have A/C...

A year or two later--long after the parts they took off have rusted or been scrapped, they start admitting that A/C might be nice.

As said...when the compressor isn't running, it's just an idler pulley spinning on a bigass bearing. You remove the compressor, you gain almost nothing in terms of efficiency, power, mileage, etc.

Having a functional A/C makes the defroster work better when the windows fog up and the temp is high enough to allow the compressor to run.

kurtperk48

Reaction score
Ok where do you get or how r-12 to recharge the system. Can you just add r-134. I’ve heard mixed reviews if you can do that. Thanks for the replys

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are kits that convert to the newer stuff. I think you need to get the old stuff out, but any garage that services A/C can do it. And the load isn't even that bad. I had V-6 cars and didn't really notice any difference. Plus it's nice to have when going down the highway at 70+ and having a conversation without yelling. Also, defrost works better.

Dzook

Reaction score
This allows you to remove the pump.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
R-12,??? What year is your truck? Even my 93, WT had 134-A when it was new. That being said, if it is a R-12 system you have, yes, it can be converted to 134-A. To do so, you have to comply flush out the system, get the adapter kit, install the fittings, pull a vacuum on it, and recharge withe 134-A. You CAN NOT, just add 134-A to your system. The freon will turn into a thick nasty mess, if you do. R-12, and 134-A, are not compatible. Also you will need to replace the refrigerant oil as well. These jobs, are not for the novice mechanic. Also, if your low on freon, then you have a leak somewhere. You will also need to fix that leak. IMO, your best bet, is to leave it alone, untill you are ready to replace everything. It's not good to open up the system, and just leave it open for a period of time. This allowed contaminates, and moisture to enter the system. To do the job rite, it takes, some AC flush, an air compressor to blow that through the system, after you open the system up, a set of AC gauges, an AC vacuum pump, and even a scale to weight the freon, plus all of the parts needed to replace what ever is not correct in the system. You will need to replace the office tube, along with what ever other parts that are leaking, and most likely the condenser core. Also, there is the issue of capturing the old freon. It is illegal to release freon into the atmosphere.