A/c delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I deleted the a/c from my truck. When I did, I hadn't really planned to use it much when it was hot out. Things change. Life changed. As Shurkey mentioned, I too ended up adding it back.

Life seems easier if you do stuff that allows you to be flexible in the future.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
R-12,??? What year is your truck? Even my 93, WT had 134-A when it was new. That being said, if it is a R-12 system you have, yes, it can be converted to 134-A. To do so, you have to comply flush out the system, get the adapter kit, install the fittings, pull a vacuum on it, and recharge withe 134-A. You CAN NOT, just add 134-A to your system. The freon will turn into a thick nasty mess, if you do. R-12, and 134-A, are not compatible. Also you will need to replace the refrigerant oil as well. These jobs, are not for the novice mechanic. Also, if your low on freon, then you have a leak somewhere. You will also need to fix that leak. IMO, your best bet, is to leave it alone, untill you are ready to replace everything. It's not good to open up the system, and just leave it open for a period of time. This allowed contaminates, and moisture to enter the system. To do the job rite, it takes, some AC flush, an air compressor to blow that through the system, after you open the system up, a set of AC gauges, an AC vacuum pump, and even a scale to weight the freon, plus all of the parts needed to replace what ever is not correct in the system. You will need to replace the office tube, along with what ever other parts that are leaking, and most likely the condenser core. Also, there is the issue of capturing the old freon. It is illegal to release freon into the atmosphere.
Pretty thorough coverage of swapping R12 to R134a. Replacing the condenser with an R134a unit is something to consider as well.

BTW if your '93 had R134a new that would be the first I've heard of, but I guess it's possible there were some changes made during the model year run. '94 was R134a, every year prior was still R12.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
R-12 and R-134a are compatible. The oils aren't. When R-134a first came guys I knew were rolling cars in, recovering R-12 and shooting R-134a into the A/C system and rolling them out. It didn't work so well because R-134a requires a larger compressor, but they didn't have trouble until they tried switching from the mineral oil to the early ester oils they were using with R-134a. If you didn't get the components squeaky clean it would sludge up the system.

No matter whether you want to believe that climate change is man-made or not, we are seeing more extreme temperatures. A/C is becoming a necessity in northern climates. I wouldn't ditch it. I'd rather try to sell a truck with a broken, but intact A/C system free-wheeling than try to sell one with the A/C system missing.