A/C Condenser brand recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need to replace the condenser on my 98 K1500 (350). I would normally go with a Delco part (15-62892) but it got bad reviews on Amazon for the orifice tube not fitting. They were from 2015, so it may have been a one-time issue, but it’s kind of troubling since that part is $160 versus $60-ish for other brands.

There’s a TYC model (4720) that had several comments about the lines not lining up or being the wrong thread size. Then there is a Spectra 7-4721 that had the correct line orientation but needed some type of dealer-only rubber shims to make it fit snug.

It’s hard to tell if these are installer errors or actual quality control issues.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a condenser that fits and works correctly the first time without having to rig it together? I’m not against paying for quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

derekjl

Reaction score
I’ve used Four Seasons brand in the past, fit was just like factory in my 1999 Tahoe. A local place that specializes in A/C has used them for many years and swears by them.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I used a Murray from O-Reilly
I was able to get it at cost because my buddy is a mechanic

I don't remember having any problems, of course I did hit a deer so it may have made it fit better :rotflmao:

That was about 3 years ago and it's still kicking.. I'm having more problems out of the 4 NAPA compressors I've been through :Insane:

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I’ll take a look at those two and see what I can come up with.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Personally I'd get it from RockAuto. I cannot comment about the quality of one condensor over the other, but Amazon does have a bad habit of selling PILES of parts for the wrong vehicle. You can tell that the people that set up their "Fits your car" system really don't understand automotive engineering.

RockAuto and similar places like Summit, et.al. are not nearly as likely to make this mistake.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Research fit on Rock Auto, then buy from Amazon. That's my method, at least. RA burned me hard on some returns that cost me hundreds of dollars. Amazon's returns policy is way better.

Mike

Yeah, that’s what I do, too. Grab part numbers from RA and shop for price at other places.

Amazon’s “vehicle fit” thing is probably up there with eBay.

Blue Turd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This summer I replaced my entire A/C system with the Murray stuff from my local O’Reillys. No issues with fitment, and it has so far been working flawlessly. Truck blows 30-40 degree air, even with the stock mechanical engine fan.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Many "Customer Reviews" don't even concern the part you are looking at. The ACDelco condenser for your truck is design with thin tubing that have tiny holes formed during extrusion, to increase the transfer of latent heat that increases the efficiency of R134a refrigerant. (See photos) If the tubing is the thickness of a paper match, this is what your are getting. Your "O-Tube" should be in the high pressure line near the condenser and not the condenser it's self. So the "Customer Review" is wrong, probably for a different model or brand of vehicle, like a Jeep.
You must be registered for see images attach

JamesShortbus

Reaction score
Research fit on Rock Auto, then buy from Amazon. That's my method, at least. RA burned me hard on some returns that cost me hundreds of dollars. Amazon's returns policy is way better.

Mike
They burned me for a group of money as well . made me pay to return lots of incorrect parts for my square body crew cab . 'We did nothing wrong and you did nothing wrong , so we'll split the shipping costs' (THEY SUGGESTED THEIR SUPPLIER WAS AT FAULT)