A/C Compressor Replacement '94 Suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for advice for replacing a AC compressor on a 1994 GMC Suburban 5.7l that the Pump locked up on. (r4)

Are the re-mans ok to use ?

Should I replace any thing else ?

The rear air has not worked in a long time, ( blower works but no cold air ) is there anything I should look at to get it going again when I have the system apart ?

I plan on replacing the parts myself then taking it somewhere and having it vaced down and charged. Is there a reason why this would not be a good idea?

Many Thanks,

LC2NLS6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't be surprised when it costs $1500 to fix. Did that on my second 93 last year, and my 2009 last summer. Those rear a/c lines are megabucks. Sure, you can hack them up and splice in, but it won't last. Have to buy the full line with the GM connectors etc. And they take a metric ton of R134...

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you just cap off the rear line, so it does not leak in the future ?

Steven Petersen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Looking for advice for replacing a AC compressor on a 1994 GMC Suburban 5.7l that the Pump locked up on. (r4)

Are the re-mans ok to use ?

Should I replace any thing else ?

The rear air has not worked in a long time, ( blower works but no cold air ) is there anything I should look at to get it going again when I have the system apart ?

I plan on replacing the parts myself then taking it somewhere and having it vaced down and charged. Is there a reason why this would not be a good idea?

Many Thanks,

You always replace the receiver/drier anytime you open the system. I recommend the orafice tube as well. If you are competent enough to do these repairs, then you can handle charging it yourself. Buy a decent vacuum pump and set of manifold gauges. They will pay for themselves quickly.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Steven. If you have it open, replace the receiver/drier, and the orifice tube is dirt cheap and worth it. A two-stage vacuum pump is best, but I use a $60 single-stage pump I got from Amazon and an old set of Blue-Point gauges and get excellent results. Finding the correct fitting to connect the vacuum pump to R-134a systems was the hard part.

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The system is still under pressure and has a dye in it, Not sure if I can find a garage to discharge it and hold the R134 until I am ready, ( Is this common )

At first I was thinking of doing the sanden conversion and deleting the rear air with regular truck hoses, but I read a post where GM was putting R4 pumps in a system that was set up for 134a from the factory in '94 and '95 and that they did quite well compared to the r12 conversions of earlier years with r4 compressors. That being said , I am wondering if the driers, compressors and hoses on the '94-'95s are the same as on the earlier years of pickups that came with r12 . any insite on this . ? Here are some pictures of what I have .

You must be registered for see images attach

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You always replace the receiver/drier anytime you open the system. I recommend the orafice tube as well. If you are competent enough to do these repairs, then you can handle charging it yourself. Buy a decent vacuum pump and set of manifold gauges. They will pay for themselves quickly.
If this were mine, I'd replace the receiver/drier, the orifice tube, AND every O-ring in the entire system.
When your original compressor messed the bed, it sent shrapnel everywhere. The whole system would get flushed. And I'd put an inline filter in the suction hose on the compressor.

The rear A/C doesn't have an orifice tube. Seems to me it's got a REAL expansion valve. But--what good is a big vehicle with no A/C in the rear? I don't know how GM or aftermarket sells those parts--maybe you have to buy the whole assembly, maybe you can get individual parts.

Last edited:

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what I have read, the achellies heel of the suburban A/C system is the rear expansion valve that usually gets plugged up and mine did not work for a long time before the compressor took a dump. I figure since I do not use it to haul people I did not really need A/C back there. It seems that GM made some suburbans without rear air because I am finding part numbers for hose assemblies and dryers that are listed for both. ( rear air and exclude rear air ) The compressors seem to be the same so I am wondering if the dryers and hose assemblies are interchangable. the part numbers for the hoses and driers without rear air are not the same as the numbers for the pick up trucks, so I am a little confused as why. If anybody has been down this road before I would like to know what rout you went. I also would like to know if the re-mans from oriley and autozone are worth using or should I stick with the new AC Delco for $100. more. ( witch can be had at oriley and autozone )

name

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On a 1994 suburban, when deleting the rear air and keeping the original R4 and condenser, what are the part numbers of the AC hoses I need to replace ?