9C1 cam with stock TBI?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have an '88 computer in there? Only reason the truck would be looking for an IAT is if it thought it was supposed to have one, which it doesn't.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know obd1 doesn't usually store codes unless there's serious issue(s).
Nope, the ECM/PCM will store the code(s) for ~30 - 40 key cycles. Maybe set your timing, as suggested, and disconnect the battery to reset the EST code you'll set by doing that. Then start over to see what other codes pop up.

It's even better to put a scanner on it and data log.

blackdeathmessenger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have an '88 computer in there? Only reason the truck would be looking for an IAT is if it thought it was supposed to have one, which it doesn't.
Well, I did put a '91 c/k computer in it, since I've read elsewhere that it can smooth out engine idle and such. To my knowledge, and from my experience, the '91 c/k trucks should have pretty much the same sensors, with a few minor differences

blackdeathmessenger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, the ECM/PCM will store the code(s) for ~30 - 40 key cycles. Maybe set your timing, as suggested, and disconnect the battery to reset the EST code you'll set by doing that. Then start over to see what other codes pop up.

It's even better to put a scanner on it and data log.
Well, good to know. I also didn't disconnect the battery after I fixed the timing last time. I thought it would fix itself after I cycled the key with the connector reconnected

blackdeathmessenger

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The .bin would be whatever the stock one was, I didn't tune it as I don't have the capabilities to do so, or know anyone around here that can. The part number I'll have to find when I go on break

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '88 K1500 5.7L with stock computer has a Vortec cam--actually the entire Vortec short-block.

Runs fine. I did have to jack-up the fuel pressure a bit.

You haven't found the real problem, yet.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it possible they had multiple part numbers and I might have gotten the one that was incompatible?
Yep, you can't just swap chips from 1 ECM to another. Each .bin is coded for their own Service Number ECM. A different model ECM will be looking at a different address in the chip.