99 L31 Burb won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I have never had a fuel pump fail and not make any noise at all when priming, they always made some noise, at least a humming.
Yes this one used to make a noise, like they all do, but nothing today. So it's gotta be the pump or its wiring....

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be able to check for voltage at the pump harness with a multimeter or test light. Get in position we're you can view it and have an assistant turn the key to on, it should prime for a few seconds. You also could swap relays with the ac clutch relay for diagnosis. Sometimes I've had a relay stick, but after swapping them with another for some reason they seem to work again.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it's upsetting. Been there quit a few times, take a step back and remember it's cheaper the a new burb or silverado. I would first check fuel pressure. Then I'd check jumping relay , last trouble codes.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Should be able to check for voltage at the pump harness with a multimeter or test light. Get in position we're you can view it and have an assistant turn the key to on, it should prime for a few seconds. You also could swap relays with the ac clutch relay for diagnosis. Sometimes I've had a relay stick, but after swapping them with another for some reason they seem to work again.
The other two relays only have 4 pins; the fuel pump relay has 5. Or I would have swapped them. Pump harness is up in the frame, and inaccessible unless the tank is dropped. This is a Suburban with tow package (so big trailer hitch) and the 42 gallon tank takes up all the space....

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
The above.
And if still no fuel, find the pigtail that connects the harness to the pump and check it. Mine (99 'Burb) was accessible from the front of the tank, it was lying on top if it and came far enough forward to do a solder repair on the bad ground wire.

If none of the above works, I'd try pressurising the feed line (improvise!) in the hope of shifting the pump rotor enough to get off the bad bit of the commutator (assuming it's that at fault, not winding failure) and at least be able to burn some of the fuel off before dropping the tank to replace the pump.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Yes, but apparently GM wasn't going to make the panel and hole required to make that possible, with the structural rigidity to make it safe for a passenger vehicle in case of a bad wreck or rollover crash, for something that wasn't a regular repair item. Remember, GM never figured that 20+ years after they were built, these trucks would still be around and so many people would still be using them on a regular basis. They probably figured everyone would trade them in, when the newer ones came out, and the fuel pump life or serviceability never entered into the discussion.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember, GM never figured that 20+ years after they were built, these trucks would still be around and so many people would still be using them on a regular basis. They probably figured everyone would trade them in, when the newer ones came out, and the fuel pump life or serviceability never entered into the discussion.
They knew. They just didn't (and don't) care.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will probably be dis-owned for saying this, but wouldn't it be nice if you could just take a few screws out and access that pump from the top?
Call me dangerous but I bit the bullet and made an access panel with hinges. I need to touch up on it but it does the job. I went to the junk yard and cut out a bigger hole then I did so it could overlay the access point. Now I can change a fuel pump anywhere and do it in about 15min. Btw I loaded the rear with misc heavy items and the floor is still ridgid.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you just want to get it on the road, and burn some fuel out of the tank before you drop it, you could get a fuel pump for a 89 Ford van. Those are frame mounted inline high pressure pumps.
I did this temporary for a motorhome one time, hooked it in at the fuel filter.

Here's a picture from orielys to show you what they look like, usually in stock.

( Please don't flame me for Ford parts, it not made by Ford, just an application it fits)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220919-075000.png
    Screenshot_20220919-075000.png
    163.4 KB · Views: 6