'99 K1500 Suburban "Storm"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The swap is basically done, and it is definitely a blast to drive! I had new 2.5" pipe routed from my 3" collectors, to 2.5" catalytic converters, back into my 2.5" dual in/ dual out Jones Max Flow muffler. I trimmed my cover to fit and had to get the throttle and cruise cables from a gmt800 to have my cruise working right. The only thing left to do now is fix my thermostat housing leak, upper radiator hose leak on the radiator end, wire my ac, and put loom on everything.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love this build, you did an awesome job on everything! I'm going to be doing the GMT800 Fan swap very soon. I have all the parts and wanted to do something very similar to what you did with the upper mounts so I'm definitely copying that. Do you happen to have any pictures of how you connected the lower fan shroud to the core support? That is the part I'm unsure of how to finish.

Also, for the headers do you have a part number?

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Love this build, you did an awesome job on everything! I'm going to be doing the GMT800 Fan swap very soon. I have all the parts and wanted to do something very similar to what you did with the upper mounts so I'm definitely copying that. Do you happen to have any pictures of how you connected the lower fan shroud to the core support? That is the part I'm unsure of how to finish.

Thank you! The fans actually sit on the lip of the core support. They have rubber feet on them that sit across that lip. And as for the headers, I'll have to look when I get home for you.

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did I also see that you put VortecMax decals where the 1500 would have been? I was thinking about doing that exact same thing.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

72c-2266 is the part number I believe.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did I also see that you put VortecMax decals where the 1500 would have been? I was thinking about doing that exact same thing.
Yes sir I did, I wanted to replace the very 90s looking door emblems with these with the intentions of swapping a 6.0 into it eventually, now the badges match what's under the hood! (Even though the vortec max really is a lq9 and not an lq4, but doesn't matter imo)

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes sir I did, I wanted to replace the very 90s looking door emblems with these with the intentions of swapping a 6.0 into it eventually, now the badges match what's under the hood! (Even though the vortec max really is a lq9 and not an lq4, but doesn't matter imo)

Pretty sure Vortec Max is a rectangle port, basically an L76 like what came in the G8.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Some 2006-2007 gmt800s came with lq9s and were called vortec max's. They're few and far between though.

Then from what I understand, the gmt900 vortec max trucks are l76's with a different cam and square port heads and truck style intake.

ryeguy2006a

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The LQ9 is basically the same as the LQ4, but has the high compression pistons from an LS2. That's what I have in my truck is a VortecMax LQ9. Both the LQ4 and LQ9 both came with the 317 heads.

I think the GMT900 trucks with the 6.0 had the square port heads and were LY6.