98 z71 4l60e slipping in 3rd/no OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at a 98 z71 one owner for $2000. Besides bubbling cab corners and this transmission problem, it's in really good condition. So here's my question. What could be the problem? I'm planning on doing a rhino transmission rebuild but I wanna make sure it's not something simple before I spend the $400 on the stage two rebuild kit. The truck is 3 hours away so I can't tell you exactly what it does but the seller says its slipping in 3rd and has completely lost OD. Obviously, if everything works out and I go to look at it, I'll drive it and see what happens. But I want to get some more opinions first. So what do you guys think could be going on? Worst case scenario, I spend the $400 on the rhino rebuild kit and install it with a family friend

Sent while pulling out a Ford

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
3-4 clutch pack and band is probably toast. Clutch material from said clutches are circulating thru the fluid, destroying the remaining clutches. As long as there is no loud banging or grinding, it probably just needs a rebuild kit.

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
3-4 clutch pack and band is probably toast. Clutch material from said clutches are circulating thru the fluid, destroying the remaining clutches. As long as there is no loud banging or grinding, it probably just needs a rebuild kit.

I'll let you know if everything works out and I test drive it. I'm hoping that's all it needs because I KNOW I can get that done around here for relatively cheap, especially if I help out

98_k1500

Reaction score
Every one i have ever torn up has just needed rebuilt except one. It sounded like someone put a rear end together with no pinion bearings, carrier bearings, or oil, ran the truck up to 80 then it all stripped out. Planetary gears were broken. It make a HUGE amount of grinding noise.
You must be registered for see images

ChristGilley

GMT400less GMT400 Member
Reaction score
Every one i have ever torn up has just needed rebuilt except one. It sounded like someone put a rear end together with no pinion bearings, carrier bearings, or oil, ran the truck up to 80 then it all stripped out. Planetary gears were broken. It make a HUGE amount of grinding noise.
You must be registered for see images

:nono: hopefully he's not lying to me, it would really suck

98_k1500

Reaction score
That one had no 2nd, 4th, or reverse, and it was OBVIOUS something was broke. Is your kit coming with an upgraded sunshell?

98_k1500

Reaction score
1-2 shift on the rev limiter with 35" baja claws on good ground while trying to pull a 3' diameter ceader log is what did that BTW.