98 K1500 Steering Shaft wobble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ray_z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Watch this video!!!

Hey guys,

This is my first post but I've been lurking for a while now. My 98 K1500 RCSB has lots of movement in the steering shaft. It is mostly noticeable where the shaft goes through the firewall. I can move it up, down, and side to side about a half inch to an inch in all directions. It appears that the shaft is resting on the bottom of the opening going through the firewall as if it has drooped down some how.

Here is a pic of the inside looking at the firewall.
You must be registered for see images attach

This video shows the movement I'm talking about.
http://youtu.be/YpbIRU80DOM

Does anyone know how this can be resolved?

I have one of the Jeep shafts that I purchased before realizing they don't work with the 98's. Does mine look like it has the u-joint inside the cab from that picture above?

Last edited:

ray_z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here is a better pic of the shaft from the inside.
You must be registered for see images attach

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just checked mine (97) and HOLY FLEX...... looks like I found my steering slop problem... I don't see a u joint up there but to me it looks like a bearing in the boot or something ,I need to find a diagram and see what it takes to fix it!!

Man I hope this works, thanks for posting this up !!

Last edited:

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
There is no bearing in the boot. Looks like its gonna be that upper joint under the dash. It looked like there was so much slop that someone may have done a xj shaft swap on a truck with a internal joint. Will produce the same results.